real time web analytics
Report - - Easington Colliery Junior Schools - Durham (Aug 2014) | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Easington Colliery Junior Schools - Durham (Aug 2014)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Checked this school out on a bit of a whim with a non member whilst doing something else in the area, we wasn't sure what to expect having not done any proper research on it, first impressions weren't good as it's looking very knackered outside, however inside it was a real treat, heavily boarded but despite this what light there is inside was spot on and seemed to add to it making it really photogenic, hence the overkill on the images (sorry)

I was very surprised i had not seen or heard of this place before, since then having looked for a bit of background i see there is one old report on here from Speed, it really hasn't changed at all since his report in 2010, just matured a bit more :D

Mucho dead pigeons and their shit everywhere but to be expected the length it's been shut, very surprised this one has not seen more visitors especially the North East explorers.

The School was opened in 1913. According to Kelly’s Directory for 1914 “Easington Colliery School for boys, girls and infants when completed will have cost £21,000 for 1296 children; average attendance 320 boys, 310 girls and 325 infants.

However further records show that the sexes were separated with the girls’ school opening 2nd March 1914 and the boys school, a year later on 26th May 1915.
In the separate schools the seniors were upstairs and the younger ones downstairs,The boys building was at the top of the bank separated by two yards from the girls’ building which was further down the road, nearer to the colliery.
Each department had its own yard with outside toilets. In the senior boys’ yard was a special building,tucked in the corner for woodwork with a matching one for cookery in the girls’ yard.**
This arrangement continued until 1938 when the “New School†(always known as this even when it was about to be demolished in the 1990’s) was built. This building was between the colliery and the village in an area known locally as the
‘Waterworks’.

The Schools closed mid 90's from what i can gather.

school31.jpg

school1.jpg

school2.jpg

school.jpg

school3.jpg
school9.jpg

school8.jpg

school10.jpg
school4.jpg

school5.jpg

school11.jpg

school12.jpg
school6.jpg

school15.jpg

school19.jpg

school7.jpg
school22.jpg

school17.jpg

school20.jpg

school16.jpg
school28.jpg

school23.jpg

school27.jpg

school26.jpg

school30.jpg
school24.jpg

school29.jpg

school25.jpg

Cheers for looking :thumb

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Knocking em out the park….beautifully shot and edited mate.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You lucky bugger, its sealed up every time I'm there!

Nicely captured.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
ha, glad you got in :)

been sealed / not sealed / sealed for a good few years now. I remember last time i got in, I was watched by the neighbourhood kids, who went on to say "missus.... your not apposed ti de that..."

bit of chocolate goes a long way!

nice work... wish id took some photos myself along the years, but as always with me,its all about the mooch.

great photos there... how the heck did you get the 'light'.....
:)

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Still looks epic. Was really impressed when i went. Very old fashioned. Good to see no ones been in there moving the desks about!

Kaplan

Procrastinator
28DL Full Member
Beuatiful derp. And beautifully shot as per, mate :thumb

Those corridor shots make my derpis tingle.

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah....now that's class :rolleyes: Great report and and the pics are awesome.....as always....thanks for sharin' :thumb

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great stuff well photographed. Ive been a couple of times here over the years and always found the place well sealed and just forgot about it since, must pay a final visit sometime.