real time web analytics
Report - - Talgarth Asylum, Mid Wales - July, 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Talgarth Asylum, Mid Wales - July, 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lolly92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Talgarth Asylum​

Visited with Lenston

After some failed attempts and a few run ins with the local hillbillies, we finally made it in!​

The Mid Wales Hospital was a psychiatric hospital in Talgarth, Wales It opened in 1906 and was formerly known as the Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum or Mid Wales Counties Mental Hospital. It is in echelon style (narrow arrow) and at its peak could serve 1,000 patients. However, nearer the end of its life, in 1995, this had dwindled to 168. The site was also home to the Mid and West Wales College of Nursing and Midwifery and the Powys Drugs & Alcohol Council for substance misuse
As part of its services the hospital provided treatments for the elderly mentally ill; rehabilitation and continuing care; occupational therapy; day care facility; psychology; reflexology; physiotherapy; electro-convulsive therapy, chiropody and psychiatry.
With new health legislations coming into force in the 1980s/90s and 'Care in the Community the entire hospital was wound down during the 1990s and closed for good in 1999. Some facilities moved into nearby Bronllys Hospital (formally South Wales Sanitorium).
- History taken from Whodareswins

14798847126_bf6266e6df_b.jpg

14821855485_26edbe4b4e_b.jpg

14635152570_b0b9e52640_b.jpg

14635195509_e6f79852dc_b.jpg

14841683873_6ddd7813d9_b.jpg

14798844376_5a5ecf96f6_b.jpg

14819485134_92e0da3d34_b.jpg

And this was out the back -

14635145860_51f800ae08_b.jpg

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Nice pictures lolly, it's a shame that this place has probably had it's day and not a shadow of it's former self :thumb

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
That boiler room is blue asbestos central! Sad to see the roof finally giving up on the main hall, not surprising now as its been 6 whole years without any sort of protection.

Maybe a bit past its day but it's probably the best of what's left asylum wise now..

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Wow. Mamma nature really is taking her back. Would love to see this place one more time.

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well done for not giving up lolly :thumb sure has been a grand building at some point.

Idavoll

Who?
28DL Full Member
Lovely place and kudos getting in, when I went to have a look a few months back it was locked up pretty tight with security and cameras. :-(

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Great photos. But where are those nissen huts? I don't remember ever seeing those before.

Edit: Found them on google maps.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Great photos. But where are those nissen huts? I don't remember ever seeing those before.

Edit: Found them on google maps.

I think the first time I visited I parked next to them. Locals used them as garages/storage until the business park went bust.

Funny to think people were still living in the 'original building' (the three story one) till early 2008.

dangerous dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think the first time I visited I parked next to them. Locals used them as garages/storage until the business park went bust.

Funny to think people were still living in the 'original building' (the three story one) till early 2008.

remember being in the main building hearing em in there.

The_Raw

Staff member
Pics look great to me Lolly, you can't please every bugger I suppose and some are harder to please than others.... I really like the features you've picked out from the carnage, nice one :thumb