real time web analytics
Report - - Fort Darnet, Medway Estuary - August 2014 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fort Darnet, Medway Estuary - August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
A long overdue report from me, it's been a while, been having some time off exploring to do other things.

However, an opportunity to go and explore this place presented itself, it was too good not to go really.

Fort Darnet is one of a pair of forts that were built in the 1800's on islands in the Medway estuary (the other being Hoo Fort). It was completed in 1871, but like a lot of these fortifications it never saw action and was disarmed before WW1.

In WW2 it continued in use as an observation platform, and after that war it was abandoned and deliberately flooded.

It was a bit of a mission to get here, we had several false starts over previous weeks trying the boat out, but eventually we made it. :-) We wanted to do both Hoo and Darnet fort, but the tide only really allowed us to complete one of them so Darnet was the one we picked as it was slightly closer.

You can only get to the lower parts of fort Darnet on a boat. Sailing a little dinghy round an abandoned fort is a very surreal experience, you feel like you're discovering a lost kingdom somewhere, it was great fun!

I visited here with LiamCH; the boat, engine and even the idea was Liams although I've wanted to go here for a long time so I jumped at the chance when he mentioned it. I also must add that if you're planning to visit here, FFS have a boat with an engine like we did and triple check the tide times. You will not out paddle the tidal flow in the estuary, it's very very fast and I'm not exaggerating.

It's not very big really, but below are a selection of photos.

_MG_1710_zps227da53a.jpg

_MG_1690_zps4e8d46be.jpg

_MG_1716_zps092b8105.jpg

_MG_1740_zps09bc728d.jpg

_MG_1750_zpsd95fab2c.jpg

_MG_1753_zps39e3d45c.jpg

_MG_1775_zps0dae777f.jpg

Liam goes for a solo lap
_MG_1795_zpsb7098248.jpg

Nice view of Kingsnorth powerstation from the island
_MG_1784_zpsc8ea77a8.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Maniac.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Well I'm glad he listened to the people that know what they are talking about in the end, anyone navigating the sea on a less than adequate vessel is asking for trouble

That said, looks a decent paddle that, and some decent pics of the place :thumb

Lolly92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That place looks very interesting, nice job getting out there and capturing it

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This looks cool Maniac and a lot of fun too, but the tidal run sounds a bit tricky.

Electric_Orange

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for this.. I was pondering it a couple of years ago with a mate who has a small boat but never got round to it.

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Nice report and well done for getting there :thumb

Ive been looking at doing these forts by kayak but havent got round to it yet

DarkDog

Too old to give a f*ck...
28DL Full Member
Like the126, I'd considered doing this by kayak but given your assessment of the currents I'm glad I left it. Nice work Mike, will we be seeing anything from Hoo Fort?

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Like the126, I'd considered doing this by kayak but given your assessment of the currents I'm glad I left it. Nice work Mike, will we be seeing anything from Hoo Fort?

It's possible, might have to wait a few weeks thou.

The currents in the Medway estuary are very strong have no doubt about it, but if you were in a more streamlined vessel like a kayak you might stand more of a chance. Our little 2 man dinghy was struggling against the tide a bit even with a motor on the back, but it's about as hydrodynamic as a fart.

Thanks for the comments people. :-)