real time web analytics
General - - Savoy Theatre, Tonyrefail, RCT, Wales. | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Savoy Theatre, Tonyrefail, RCT, Wales.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Sapperjoseph

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi there,
This is my first post here and I was wondering if anyone had any photos or information about the Savoy Theatre in Tonyrefail?
So far we know it was opened in 1914 as the Picture Theatre, it then became a cinema under various names. It was converted to a Bingo Hall (The Savoy Bingo Hall) which closed in 2002. It laid empty for 10 years before now being privately owned and converted to a Theatre (The Savoy Theatre)
As it is the buildings Centenary this year we would like to find out as much as we can ie:- architect etc. The building is Grade ll listed and is viewed as a rare cinema of its era and it has a fine striking facade.
If anyone does have any photos or information please let me know,
Thank you,
Sapperjoseph :)

Sapperjoseph

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thank you, I have seen that article. We want to restore the facade an it would be great to find out who the architect was, so little is known about the building.
Thanks again :)

soundman

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi
I believe it is currently being restored by Dan and Hayley who worked with a team to restore the New Empire theatre in Southend. A quick Google can find their website and the progress they are making on the building. I am sure they will welcome volunteers to help with the restoration!

soundman

Sapperjoseph

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi
I believe it is currently being restored by Dan and Hayley who worked with a team to restore the New Empire theatre in Southend. A quick Google can find their website and the progress they are making on the building. I am sure they will welcome volunteers to help with the restoration!

soundman

Thank you Soundman :) I know Dan and Hayley well and I already volunteer in my spare time to helping them.
I post the collages on the Bryan Woods facebook and Twitter accounts, as well as mix concrete and everything in between.
Thanks for your help, it is just that we are searching wherever we can to find out anything about the building.

Sapperjoseph

soundman

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thank you Soundman :) I know Dan and Hayley well and I already volunteer in my spare time to helping them.
I post the collages on the Bryan Woods facebook and Twitter accounts, as well as mix concrete and everything in between.
Thanks for your help, it is just that we are searching wherever we can to find out anything about the building.

Sapperjoseph

I see! Don't know if this helps but the snooker hall in Treforest has an identical facade to the Savoy, and being in the Rhondda, they may share the same architect/builders.

soundman

Sapperjoseph

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I see! Don't know if this helps but the snooker hall in Treforest has an identical facade to the Savoy, and being in the Rhondda, they may share the same architect/builders.

soundman

Thanks again, I have just heard about this building and intend to visit it as soon as possible. It seems more than likely that it is the same architect and it would be great to find out about him :)