real time web analytics
Report - - St. Dominic's Priory - Dunedin - August 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Dominic's Priory - Dunedin - August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
St. Dominic's Priory is located on the south island of New Zealand, in Dunedin; the supposed Edinburgh of the south. It was designed and constructed in a relatively small period of time by Francis William Petre, between 1876 and 1877. Following completion it was reportedly the largest un-reinforced concrete building in the southern hemisphere. Petre subsequently obtained the nickname 'Lord Concrete' for his success. In 1878 Petre also set upon the construction of St. Joseph's Cathedral, a Gothic style structure which he also designed himself, and this is positioned adjacent to St. Dominic's. It is unknown as to why the Cathedral was designed this way, in contrast to the priory which is loosely based on an Anglo-Saxon style of architecture; or Petre's interpretation of such. In describing how it met these characteristics Petre simply drew attention to the double triangular window apertures. The building has served as a convent and, for a time, also may have functioned as a girls grammar/boarding school; although the evidence supporting this is substantially weak. The site ceased to function as a priory and convent in around 1983, but continued to house local artists and homeless people up until more recent years. As it stands, however, only one person currently continues to reside within one small section of the dilapidated building. The site, though, does also continue to operate a small chapel, which is regularly used for Sunday services; this is located is the more preserved section of the building which can be viewed in the last photograph of this report. Although there were rumours that the site would be redeveloped into apartments, or a hotel complex, no such work has ever commenced and plans for any to be undertaken look substantially doubtful.

So, here we go... I'd arrived in New Zealand, very much on my own and very much without the 'WildBoyz'. Nevertheless, in conjunction with learning about my new surroundings and the people, I decided to go exploring; pretty much immediately. I was keen to see what's on offer over here and my first explore certainly didn't disappoint. After wandering for a considerable amount of time, trying to figure out where a certain street was located (without the use of google maps I hasten to add!), I finally fell upon this fine example of a crumbling priory/convent. Access wasn't particularly difficult, with a little bit of imagination, and I soon spent the next hour exploring the labyrinth of corridors, staircases and rooms. The place is much bigger than it looks from the outside! Whilst exploring though, I'd noticed that a certain room was locked, and a light could be seen peeking through the crack at the bottom of the door. At that point I realised that the site was probably to some extent occupied by someone, but I continued with the explore, treading a little more carefully to avoid making an unnecessary amount of noise. Things got even more interesting, however, when I went in search for some sort of basement (priories surely have basements, right?), and for this I'd decided to explore the grounds outside, to stairs which led to sections of the building that I deemed had potential. As I pondered, wondering how to get past a door that looked as though it had stairs descending downwards, I heard rustling on the walkway above me. As it turned out New Zealand's tactical police had also decided to visit that day, looking at the site as a potential site for training purposes. 'Oh, shit!' I thought, as I assumed my stay in NZ had suddenly become a lot shorter than I'd anticipated. To my surprise, however, they were pretty tolerant with me being there, and let me continue with my explore. I didn't find the basement though and to my disappointment, on my way out, the police informed me that that's a crypt and a small series of catacombs beneath the building. I will have to return and find them at some point!

1: Inside the Priory's Courtyard

DSC_0113a_zpsd2d4e0a6.jpg

2: A Fine Selection of Plants and Plant Pots

DSC_0115a_zpsb1cb3f41.jpg

3: Stained Glass Windows

DSC_0218a_zps3e9db0b4.jpg

4: Priory Entrance Seating and Flowers

DSC_0222a_zpsc8ed0c5f.jpg

5: Stained Glass Window and Pillar

DSC_0223a_zps6382ec28.jpg

6: Staircase in Entrance Room

DSC_0225b_zps08bf4230.jpg

7: Photographs in the Corridor

DSC_0228a_zpsa3fcf5a3.jpg

8: The Main Entrance to the Priory (From Staircase)

DSC_0231b_zpsc82e047f.jpg

9: An Example of Petre's 'Anglo-Saxon' Styled Windows

DSC_0250a_zps7f12f3ff.jpg

10: A Second Staircase

DSC_0259a_zps16a2d275.jpg

11: A Corroding Mirror

DSC_0262a_zps4a90ce5b.jpg

12: Looking into One of the Main Rooms (Rug Still in Place)

DSC_0271_zps023b971d.jpg

13: Make-Shift Support Beams for the Un-Reinforced Structure

DSC_0272_zps0cd4a360.jpg

14: Sink with the Remnants of... Something

DSC_0282a_zps4cb12d6d.jpg

15: A Corridor Leading to a Third Staircase

DSC_0284a_zps0d543454.jpg

16: An Old Bathtub

DSC_0285_zps54fc9079.jpg

17: Yet Another Staircase

DSC_0294a_zps220be05b.jpg

18: Stained Glass with St. Joseph's Cathedral Through the Window

DSC_0299_zpsf2798583.jpg

19: Strange Light Fitting

DSC_0309a_zps1591c0f6.jpg

20: Old Pews

DSC_0315a_zpse1230003.jpg

21: Decorative Fireplace

DSC_0318a_zps038ca130.jpg

22: Side Shot of a Pew

DSC_0321a_zps7b23571f.jpg

23: Safe/Locked Box

DSC_0329a_zps8257334c.jpg

24: Staircase Shot (In-between Floors)

DSC_0333a_zps9001955f.jpg

25: The Main Staircase

DSC_0341a_zps00ea9f44.jpg

26: Outside the Premises (Street View)

DSC_0352_zps0abbb2f5.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate, I'd give you a Thumb but they've vanished :)

The last pic the External looks interesting ......could be in Sheff with that tree lol

So what's next ? A sacred Mowri burial ground or something :)

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate, I'd give you a Thumb but they've vanished :)

The last pic the External looks interesting ......could be in Sheff with that tree lol

So what's next ? A sacred Mowri burial ground or something :)

Haha, cheers mate. Damn, I'm missing out on thumbs here! Bad time to choose to upload I guess.

Did a rooftop the other night, so that's next. Got some other things lined up :) Not sure about any Mowri burial grounds... Yet lol... Give it time :P

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one, looks a wicked site and lovely shots as always. :thumb

NZ eh? Had you finally smashed everything Sheffield had to offer? :D

Look forward to some more antipodean explores! :)

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looking good mate, always nice to see something from so far away…hope the other reports are as good.

SoulShaper2

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sounds like an interesting run in with the police! And good picks, NZ seems more gloomy then I would have thought though. Glad to see your still going at it though!

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice one, looks a wicked site and lovely shots as always. :thumb

NZ eh? Had you finally smashed everything Sheffield had to offer? :D

Look forward to some more antipodean explores! :)

Haha, cheers mate :thumb I'd been hitting Sheffield hard man, I had to take a break. From the looks of things there'll be plenty for me to go back to. There are so many undiscovered secrets there still too.

Got a trip planned to see some other cities over here, so hopefully I'll get some decent snaps of a few awesome sights!

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Looking good mate, always nice to see something from so far away…hope the other reports are as good.

Cheers man :) Glad you like the photos. Got plenty more to do out here, so more to look forward to :)

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Sounds like an interesting run in with the police! And good picks, NZ seems more gloomy then I would have thought though. Glad to see your still going at it though!

It rains a lot here man... Pretty dismal :P It is the middle of winter though. Yeah, I was expecting more shit from them, but it all turned out OK! :D

1nk4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
this place looks qualaity! very nice pics too! looks like a body in that bath tub though lol

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details