real time web analytics
Report - - Stavely's Bond - Dunedin - August 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stavely's Bond - Dunedin - August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Stavely's Bond is one of Dunedin's finest historic warehouse buildings and not surprisingly is located in the city's old 'warehouse and business district'. Although it's not by any means the highest building in Dunedin, with its highest frontage being only 23 metres, it is a well known structure and was a fine addition to the street's overall appearance. Constructed and completion occurred sometime during 1879, as indicated on the stonework above each of the two entrances, at a cost of £9,000. Stavely's Bond became just one of the many developments to rise in that area during the late 1800's. The first occupants of the building were reported to have been the wine merchants, William Stavely and Co, who took up occupancy in 1980. Their name still remains as part of the pediment which is situated at the very top of the building (the flagpole).

From 1888 onwards, other additional companies also moved into the premises; some of these include a merchant and agent for the Phoenix Fire Office and Globe Marine Insurance Co, Rittenberg Waterproof Clothing Factory, and Fotheringham's Offices. By 1895, however, A Moritzon and Co, importers and shippers; of grain, produce, seed, general commission and insurance arbitrators and auctioneers, acquired the building. This new warehouse/factory was split into offices and salerooms, a dairy produce and fruit department, a storage area for heavy goods, a storage area for oats and agricultural seeds, and an area for a seed cleaning machine. Nonetheless, after only 26 years of trading A Moritzon and Co quit their trade and this allowed for the Co-operative Fruit Growers of Otago Ltd to take up occupancy. They continued to operate within the premises up until recent years. Since then the building briefly housed a ballet and dance school, until it was severely damaged by a fire in March 2008. Since then, the elements have also had a dramatic on the interior of the building. Nevertheless, as Stavely's Bond is now registered with the Historic Places Trust, and a Category II historic structure, work is currently underway to renovate and restore the building, so that it can be reused as an apartment complex.

It was late one Sunday evening, and the rain had finally subsided. Having been itching to get another explore done I seized the opportunity to check out some scaffolding I'd located a few days previously. As I arrived the street was fairly quiet, all except for the car wash opposite. On that night I gained some very valuable insider knowledge about the people of Dunedin, with the new-found understanding that the residents seem unduly concerned about washing their cars in the very early hours of the morning, whilst the temperature is touching just below zero. I waited for a gap in between washers, as the access point was in plain view; directly in front of their washing activities. As I waited, one would arrive while the other departed. It was a frustrating wait, but eventually my patience paid off and there was a gap. After that it was plain sailing. Up on the top I could see for miles, but the photographs don't really reveal that due to the high scaffolding and the awkward rooftop which made it difficult to set up the tripod. Still, that's one down - with many more to go!

1: Stavely's Bond Street View

DSC_0412_zpsc1f06022.jpg

2: Reaching the Top of the Scaffolding

DSC_0406_zps1962c969.jpg

3: Admiring the Stonework

DSC_0401_zps14a32a01.jpg

4: Looking Towards Princess Street (One of the Main Roads Through Dunedin)

DSC_0398_zps07d9bf31.jpg

5: On the Edge of the Roof - Looking at Princess Street

DSC_0396a_zpse2756a37.jpg

6: Dunedin at Night

DSC_0394a_zps78e5173b.jpg

7: On the Scaffolding Attached to the Pediment and Flagpole

DSC_0393_zps5fad170e.jpg

8: Dunedin at Night - Looking Towards the Dock Area

DSC_0392b_zpsdf969b3b.jpg

9: The Warehouse District

DSC_0389a_zps2f0db460.jpg

10: Watching the Cars Drive By

DSC_0380_zpsbe92aefc.jpg

Last edited:

SoulShaper2

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice photos and the building it's self looks impressive! glad it's not going to disappear

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
nice photos and the building it's self looks impressive! glad it's not going to disappear

Cheers! The building is pretty stripped inside, nothing much to report on in there. Some of the ceiling decor looks cool though. Despite the fire, I think it's definitely here to stay :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details