real time web analytics
Report - - City Reach, Barnsley, August 2014. | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - City Reach, Barnsley, August 2014.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

rich_b1982

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hit this up with ***********.

City reach is the concerete shell of an apartment building in the centre of Barnsley.

The 14 storey glass-clad structure would provide a mix of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments overlooking the town centre. The ground level would offer retail opportunities as well as a basement with parking spaces for 27 cars.

Construction of the building was contracted to Northfield Construction. The stair core and lift shaft were constructed by UK Slipform to a height of 45m, with the reinforced concrete floors constructed behind it at a pace of 1 floor every 2 weeks.

Work stopped in late 2009 when the recession kicked in and a lack of funding means it hasn't started again since.

All this could be about to change.

THE part-built City Reach apartment block on the outskirts of Barnsley town centre is set to get higher, according to amended plans.

Superior Living Limited, based in Liverpool, took ownership of the derelict eyesore after buying it for £375,000 at auction last October, just four per cent of its original estimated value.

Agent Paul Jackson has submitted amended plans for the concrete skeleton, which borders John Street, Heelis Street and Burleigh Street.

Proposals show there will be one two-storey apartment will be built on top of the existing top floor; the internal layout will be rearranged to provide 24 additional apartments; there will no longer be any retail units on the lower floors and a gym will be built for residents.

Mr Jackson was keen to stress just one apartment will increase in height and not the whole of the building.

He said: "The reason for this is to make it look more slender and elegant and that's what our proposals do.

"We think the additional units instead of the commercial aspect gives a 'live' ground floor rather than boarded up shops and increases safety of the site.

"Also we think it is an unsuitable area for retail as it is a stone's throw away from the town centre."

The original approval for the site was during the previous boom years and City Reach has laid dormant for a number of years since falling victim to the recession.

Pics;

14765839539_7f78fc47bc_b.jpg

14765840949_da99ea9fa7_b.jpg

14765972657_cb7d155e9d_b.jpg

14765850290_573afc34c8_b.jpg

14952528125_2c82a4e28f_b.jpg

14765979867_bb5152ba87_b.jpg

14949424561_69b9b381b0_b.jpg

Bit of a heads up. If anyone is thinking of going here, treat carefully. Theres some homeless in there and potential of needles lying around. So watch where you step / crawl.

Cheers all :thumb

Monkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Those floor plates without any scaffolding or clutter provide some cool clean shots.

Looks good, nice one.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lol I was parked next to this on FridAy watching the clientele from then rehab centre watching me :eek:

An old lad I was talking to who was involved in its construction was telling me about the Drugs Den they built themselves out of the blocks on one of the levels complete with locking door :) supposed to be adding 2 more levels he reckoned. Sure people will be queuing up for Penthouse views of what's below them .....not

Nice pics BTW :thumb

rich_b1982

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Aye, heard mixed reports of the new additions, some said it would be twice as high and others said that there'll be just another level on top. In the info I pillaged, it did say 14 stories though, so they didn't actually finish the concrete skeleton before work shopped. May be worth a return though if it gets highter.