real time web analytics
Report - - Birmingham Central fire station - Aug 14 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Birmingham Central fire station - Aug 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

NightVision

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's not much left inside this beautiful building worth a photograph, but we managed to scrape a few bits together of whats left. Visited with ofthesohoriots, and to be honest one of the highlights of the night was playing cat an mouse with the two security on site.

Built in 1935 by HRH Duke of Kent, the central fire station at Lancaster Circus, Birmingham, closed in 2006. One fire engine was moved to Aston and another went to Hay Mills, while a new headquarters was established at Vauxhall Road.The fire station was home to the longest fireman's pole in Europe at 40 feet (12 m) in length
Fire Service Headquarters. 1935. Herbert Humphries and Herbert J. Manzoni. Red Flemish bond with Portland stone and concrete dressings with a pantile roof. Three storeys with attics and basement. The building is triangular with ranges set around a central drill yard and faces onto three streets; Corporation Street, Aston Street and New Street. The Fire Service Headquarters was designed to house an enclosed community for the fire-fighters, their families and the senior officers. It included housing, a school room and roof top playground, and recreation rooms, with garaging for the fire engines, workshops and stores for their repair. The style is Neo-Georgian to the exterior and functional or 'Moderne' to the courtyard fronts and the tall hose tower at the eastern corner of the yard. The fire station was home to the longest fireman's pole in Europe at 40 feet (12 m) in length

HISTORY: The building was designed as the New Central Fire Station for the City of Birmingham. The design was by Herbert Humphries [later Sir Herbert Humphries] and completed by Herbert Manzoni after Humphries' retirement in 1935. It was built on a site which was already built over and a tavern, the City Weights and Measures Department and a row of houses had to be demolished to clear the site of c. 8,000 square yards. By October 1930 the site had been cleared, but the foundation stone for the new building was not laid until March 1934. The building was finished by December 1935 at a cost of £157,000 and officially opened by the Duke of Kent. Contemporary accounts reflect the high degree of civic pride which the building provoked and it is described in glowing articles which spoke of its advanced technology. This new technology included lights to indicate which machines were to respond to a fire, loud speakers to identify the location of the fire and electronically controlled engine starting and door opening. It also featured the latest 'turntable escape' which was reputed to be the first of its kind in the country.
The overall plan gives rich insight into the functioning and aspirations of the fire service at that time, prior to its nationalisation in 1941. The fire station closed its doors in 2006 and has started with redevelopment

K4 Architects has secured planning permission for a £31 million redevelopment of Birmingham’s central fire station, the practice’s largest ever project.

The project involves converting the grade II listed fire station and building a six-storey building in the station yard to provide accommodation for 463 students.

A 30-storey tower was originally planned as part of the project but was scrapped during a series of redesigns over the past 18 months.

Councillors rejected proposals including a 23-storey tower last year, despite local authority planning officers recommending approval.

The latest design, for developer Watkin Jones, has reduced the newly-built element of the scheme while maximising use of space in the fire station.

Studio ‘pods’ will be installed in the station’s ballroom, leisure facilities are planned in the engine bays and the drill tower will be converted into studio apartments.

K4 Architects director Bob Ghosh said the project would “secure and sustain the future of a key heritage assetâ€.

Construction work is expected to start this summer and to be completed in time for the autumn 2015 intake of students.

K4 was launched in October 2010 by former Glen Howells director Ghosh and former 3DReid project leader John Shakeshaft. The pair worked together at Kinetic AIU.

CityLancasterCircusCentralFireStation1945_zps10ff35ee.jpg

band_zps92f275a1.jpg

33369_zpsfbdd3f1f.jpg

IMG_8983_zps4a98532e.jpg

IMG_8955_zps5169ad25.jpg

IMG_8953_zpse20f10e4.jpg

IMG_8985_zps9fe18591.jpg

IMG_8986_zps90962466.jpg

IMG_8982_zps395d4be3.jpg

IMG_8956_zpsfc0382c1.jpg

IMG_8979_zps9de48d0b.jpg

IMG_8974_zpsd5a54b98.jpg

IMG_8972_zpsd17a1ec3.jpg

IMG_8976_zps70ca0e27.jpg

IMG_8971_zps643ff2fe.jpg

IMG_8970_zps1dc0ebab.jpg

IMG_8966_zps353a69ae.jpg

IMG_8967_zpsb2ab65e1.jpg

IMG_8965_zps04cb9c45.jpg

Just had to:D

IMG_8947_zps0a6bd36a.jpg

IMG_8926_zpsf793576a.jpg

IMG_8946_zps6f0c3bea.jpg

IMG_8933_zps6cc5e747.jpg

IMG_8939_zps4e6644c5.jpg

IMG_8929_zps78a916ee.jpg

IMG_8943_zpsc9e5c569.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Very good, and also good to see again, this thread is incomplete without pole though :p:

Scaff pole doesn't count

Nice pics and a good effort :thumb

NightVision

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very good, and also good to see again, this thread is incomplete without pole though :p:

Scaff pole doesn't count

Nice pics and a good effort :thumb

Cheers ojay, hahahaa the pole was covered in a foam, to protect it I assume, but wasn't worth a photo unfortunately

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report and pics, looks nice, you definitely did the place justice seeing as it was pretty bare inside!

redhunter

redxrag on instagram
28DL Full Member
That's my dads old work. Their use to be tunnels that lead all underneath, I remember going down a few years ago, Until they got all blocked up.

Little_Duke

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went past here last night, looks impossible to get in now. too many security guards and other bits :(

Cairn terrier

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic pictures, such a shame they didn't allow visitors one final look before closing. Really good effort guys to keep at least some of the history alive, well done!

Dorinda52

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wondering if anyone can help. My family lived in the fire station from 1958 to 1967 and then moved to Australia in 1970. My sister and I are coming over for a holiday in October and would love to be able to have a look around, maybe access the "roof" that was our playground as well as being where the lines were for drying clothes. I don't know how we would go about getting permission to go through the gates so if anyone can help, that would be great. I am now 63 but still have so many vivid memories of the old station, good and bad (!) and the life we led there. I know my primary school Bishop Ryders has long gone, along with the surrounding houses, but the old station still stands tall and proud.