real time web analytics
Report - - Lyceum Theatre Sheffield August 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lyceum Theatre Sheffield August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
Having a good old mooch around Sheffield and came across this baby, another one of Sheffield landmark buildings, its not the tallest but a lovely little roof top to visit.

Access was a little tricky, everywhere you looked there were people that could ruin this explore for us. After lots of ducking, diving and staying still for minutes on end we finally reached the top.:D

Kind of made it more fun in a way, felt like commandos haha:)

Visited this one with leeskywalker.

History:

There has been a theatre on the site since 1879 when The Grand Varieties Theatre was built. Made of wood and originally intended to be used as a circus, the theatre was managed by the parents of the music hall comedian Dan Leno in 1883, who regularly performed there in the early stages of his career. The Leno's lease came to an end in 1884 and the theatre burnt down in 1893. This was replaced by City Theatre but this was demolished six years later to make way for what is now the Lyceum.

Built to a traditional proscenium arch design, the Lyceum is the only surviving theatre outside London designed by the famous theatre architect W.G.R. Sprague and the last example of an Edwardian auditorium in Sheffield. The statue on top of the Lyceum Theatre is Mercury, son of Zeus and Maia.

By the late fifties, the Lyceum were experiencing financial difficulties and by 1966 bingo callers were keeping the rumoured threat of demolition at bay. The theatre closed in 1969 and, despite being granted Grade II listed status in 1972, planning permission was sought for its demolition in 1975. The building was saved in part due to campaigning by the Hallamshire Historic Buildings Society.

Over the years the building changed ownership many times, being used variously as a bingo hall and a rock concert venue. By the 1980s, the interior was in a state of disrepair. The theatre was bought by two Sheffield businessmen in 1985, with financial support from Sheffield City Council, and it was reclassified to Grade II* listed status. Between 1988 and 1990 the Lyceum was completely restored at a cost of £12 million.

The theatre reopened in 1990 and now serves as a venue for touring West End productions and operas by Opera North, as well as locally produced shows. It is part of the Sheffield Theatres complex with the neighbouring Crucible Theatre and the Crucible Studio.

Any way let crack on with the shots!!

Hope you all enjoy......:)

_DSC1501_zps8ee9c86f.jpg

_DSC1500_zps51a9d78a.jpg

_DSC1503_zps885b74ab.jpg

_DSC1496-Edit_zps24cc7e2a.jpg

_DSC1486_zps4ed12ba6.jpg

_DSC1489_zps2ece63ce.jpg

_DSC1487_zps51609219.jpg

_DSC1484_zps9b7d735e.jpg

_DSC1502_zps62e328e2.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!:)

Until next time..............

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
For a second there I thought you were shooting page 3 shots on the dome before I realised it was some kind of statue... must get myself a cup of coffee and wake up properly :D

Nice crisp shots again mate :thumb

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
Very nice photos man, thanks for sharing this :thumb

Cheers Kwan, was nice and relaxing once we finally got to the top!:thumb

For a second there I thought you were shooting page 3 shots on the dome before I realised it was some kind of statue... must get myself a cup of coffee and wake up properly :D

Nice crisp shots again mate :thumb

Haha would not dare stand on that dome especially with my ass out haha, get a coffee down you mate. Cheers :thumb

tucker

Scallywag
28DL Full Member
There won't be anything left in Sheffield by the time you folks are done with it! Good effort!

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details