real time web analytics
Question - - Big Camera for Quality or Small Camera For Mobility? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Big Camera for Quality or Small Camera For Mobility?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Archimedes

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This has been on my mind lately, I have a large DSLR and some Heavy Glass, all of which needs a large bag to lug it around in.

I'm thinking of buying a smaller lighter pocket sized camera so its easier to get around for reports.

What do you prefer to use? a super heavy DSLR with awesome quality or something a bit more nimble, maybe compromising on quality?

A.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
This has been on my mind lately, I have a large DSLR and some Heavy Glass, all of which needs a large bag to lug it around in.

I'm thinking of buying a smaller lighter pocket sized camera so its easier to get around for reports.

What do you prefer to use? a super heavy DSLR with awesome quality or something a bit more nimble, maybe compromising on quality?

A.

Arm yourself with both.

I usually carry a Canon G series compact for quick candid shots and macros. That way the D90 can keeps it's wide angle on and no need for extra lenses.

The compact is easily as good as the SLR in well lit situations. Underground and at night though it basically doesn't work because it can't focus, whereas the SLR is permanently focussed.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
I take a DSLR, some lenses and my phone. Bag has minimal stuff in and is very small. Even if I was just taking my Fuji along I'd still take the same bag so it wouldn't make a difference.

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Olympus Pen Epl-1 for dark + Canon Ixus 115 for light and carry in pocket + tripod, or mini tripod for the Ixus
that is what I use
problem in dark is sometimes the autofocus

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
how longs. Piece of string ?

A smaller / different camera system does not ness" mean you may be reducing quality over whichever DSLR you use, it may in fact improve the quality in some cases .

You only have to look a Micro Four Thirds from PANNY & Oly or something like Sony A7 or NEX systems to see this along with the new FUjIs etc etc

The choices are extensive as you must be aware and again are as varied in the prices charged.

I wouldn't go off what other people use especially as there's so many Sheep about. Decide on your own requirements & your individual budget and short list them .

There's enough info out there to answer any and more questions that anyone can advise or answer on here I would imagine :)

Good luck on your quest :)

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Get one of the sigma bridge cameras. Cant beat em for the size and price.

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
Get one of the sigma bridge cameras. Cant beat em for the size and price.
I see bridge cameras as a worst of both, don't fit in your pocket and functionality of a high end compact.

My compact (Ricoh GRD2) focuses fine in the dark, usually stick it on manual anyway and it shows the distance in meters on the screen plus when you adjust the aperture it shows you the depth of field in meters, can't go wrong. The top end lumix compacts are well worth a look lx3 and lx5 I think.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
I've been looking at one of those Ricohs, I did have a Fuji X100 but some twat stole it and am in the market for a new compact. Only thing putting me off the Ricoh is the lack of physical viewfinder and having to stare into a screen like a spaz.

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I've been looking at one of those Ricohs, I did have a Fuji X100 but some twat stole it and am in the market for a new compact. Only thing putting me off the Ricoh is the lack of physical viewfinder and having to stare into a screen like a spaz.

Works for me on the Canon, plus you get a load of useful info.

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
Super heavy DSLR everytime with super heavy glass. I bought a canon G9 Bridge camera a while ago as a go between, something lighter but I wish I'd never bothered. Just no comparrison.

Archimedes

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks guys for all of your answers.

I unfortunately despise bridge camera's with a passion so that's a no go zone for me. Both canon and Nikon do some awesome compacts that far out perform most Bridge camera's and I'm not one for unnecessary zoom.

I'm currently looking at a Canon G series or Canon EOS M. Perhaps we can overcome focusing in dark situations by using a good torch? I'd much prefer a viewfinder to a screen I must admit. A hot shoe mount would be good, and you could use the focusing beam on a standard canon flash for focusing in low light.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
That's all OK if you have the luxury of being able to use a torch or a focus beam.

In many situations, you can't do that.

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
E-pl1 systemcamera
sometimes I'm struggling much with my autofocus, also with helping torch, when the cam finds nothing to focus on (in a tunnel for example or into dark landscape)
I can not set it on infinity and not see good enough on the screen to use that manual helping function.
Mostly I get it working and like my results and it is not too big.
Would buy one again
must say I never had a DSLR

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
I usually carry a Canon G series compact for quick candid shots and macros.

Glad to hear this! :)

Big sensor small camera is the way to go if you want just one camera. Canon EOS M, £199 in Argos.......