real time web analytics
Report - - SSSI, Manchester - August 2014 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - SSSI, Manchester - August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Visited with concreteJungle.
It had been some time since I last had the chance to get down a drain, so as I had a few hours spare while passing through Manchester, I took the opportunity to revisit this old favourite which has just had a few million quid spent on it.
The last time I visited here a few years back I remember thinking that I wouldn't have a need to return - How wrong I was!
I was aware that work had been going on here for several months and then fairly recently concreteJungle and Ojay had posted up some excellent photos of the work in progress.

I had been under the impression that the work on this project had now been just about completed save for the job of making good the ground in the park within the site enclosure. However, there is still a critical bit of work that needs to be done which until completed, pretty much makes the whole thing worthless.
In the forth picture you can see that part of the weir wall has been left incomplete with the rebar structure showing. I am assuming that a penstock or similar is to be fitted here but the sewer has overflowed a few times already judging by the bog roll, jamrags and fanny plasters decorating the metalwork. Until this work is completed the overflowing sewage is largely bypassing the impressive and expensive screening chamber, although one could argue that there is so much crap attached to the rebar that it is now performing its own filtering of the flow.
'Twas a nice little explore and UU had very kindly left the lights on for us! :)

14889262940_060728bdc5_b.jpg

15072875021_d13b3ddebb_b.jpg

14889251220_fe79e43ab8_b.jpg

15072870631_4e0f22be52_b.jpg

15072863161_35d9dc770e_b.jpg

15075498162_2bde6ddbaf_b.jpg

14889254728_e5a220f2ae_b.jpg

15052858286_a97a343fae_b.jpg

15075863095_f41db445bb_b.jpg

15075867855_928a541aee_b.jpg

14889178039_1dd3f94f3e_b.jpg

15075878265_963001d55a_b.jpg

14889151029_eb35a62c7c_b.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It's very much working, check the tide marks :p:

The rebar opening is odd, can't see it being dam boards as they have shuttered it without slots to insert anything, unless they bolt some metal work to it which I suspect they might..

As for penstock I'd be surprised as there has been no provisions made during construction for anything, including electrics here, so yeah all a bit odd

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
It's very much working, check the tide marks :p:

The rebar opening is odd, can't see it being dam boards as they have shuttered it without slots to insert anything, unless they bolt some metal work to it which I suspect they might..

As for penstock I'd be surprised as there has been no provisions made during construction for anything, including electrics here, so yeah all a bit odd

Yeah, I can see it has been overflowing like crazy with 5ft tidemarks and all those jamrags!
It's just that the exposed rebar bit is very strange and surely cannot be just left like that.
The piano was no longer blocking the overflow. :laugh

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It sure is odd Vicar, that said the general finish is poor overall so nothing would surprise me

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
I agree. The standard of finish to the gear room is decent enough, but the construction and finish to the culvert appears rushed and rather shoddy. The victorians would be less than impressed with this excuse for engineering.
I would have expected them to have maintained the gradual gradient of the original tunnel, but instead the new section has been kept unnecessarily horizontal which has resulted in about 8 inches of fucking festering filth fermenting behind the escalator screen in there already.

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I love that plastic finish on the ceilings though, kind of wanted to lick it. There's still materials to go in so guess the rebar slot will be penstocked or concreted in once the final work and testing is complete.

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Quite right, I have to confess to fingering that nice smooth ceiling on several occasions while down there! :D

Marsden1002

Love it!
28DL Full Member
Some good work!I'll have to have a venture down before the bad weather sets in - I'm in need of some Drains!

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details