real time web analytics
Report - - Pye Bank Board School - Sheffield - August 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pye Bank Board School - Sheffield - August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Explore......

It was not really on the agenda to go exploring on this weekend as I had arranged with the boss to go on a family visit to the outlaws down in the Steel City of Sheffield.

It wasn't too late in the day when I got a text and a frontage shot of the aforementioned location from Acid who had been in the City since the early hours awaiting meets with others.

With the reccy already done, the temptation was too much, I could not say no and with no further a do......I was off.

Soon on the heels of Acid, I parked up near his car for what was to be the laugh of the day...............and in I was for the explore.

Nearing the end of our visit Acid hastily shouted that "three f***ing 'type of' guys are in your car and going to nick it":eek:....."quick run and I'll call the copper's":mad. The exit wasn't too speedily and when I got there chaging like some sort of maniac ready for anything.......the three 'type of' guys were chatting to a taxi driver with a similar car as me........mine was parked further up the road!!!!:D

Try and explain that to the old bill once you have already called 999 and got the incident number......:confused Easy mistake........better to be safe than sorry tho' :rolleyes:

Big thanks to Acid.....cheers :thumb

A bit of History......

The old, Victorian, Pye Bank Board School building is still standing, though empty and disused, the school building is now Grade II listed. It stands in a prominent position on the hillside with great views across the city and there are plans to convert it into apartments.

This old school building was designed by the architects Innocent and Brown and opened in 1875. In 2003 the school was moved to a new, purpose-built building on Andover Street. On 1st December, 1875 the new buildings were eventually opened by with a large golden key set with jewels in the presence of Sir John Brown and Viscount Sandon.

The new school, “perched on a cliff like an eagle’s eyrie” was divided into three. The Infants’ department, and separate Boys and Girls junior departments each had their own headteacher and their own part of the school.

As the area grew, fuelled by industrial development, so did the need for school places. In 1881 a new Junior Department was opened at the Pitsmoor National School.

In 1883 two new wings were built on the north side of the main Pye Bank building, providing eight larger rooms, but the population growth continued to outstrip provision and the accommodation problems were not really overcome until 1930 when the Burngreave Secondary Schools opened. Pye Bank School now operated with Infants downstairs and the junior boys and girls upstairs. The two junior departments were amalgamated in 1936 as Pye Bank Junior Mixed School under one headteacher.

The growth of the school was unstoppable. Even the Luftwaffe could not slow its progress, though it did its best. In December 1940 the school suffered severe bomb damage and was closed for five months whilst the roof was repaired. Many of the pupils were evacuated to Lincolnshire where they were accompanied and taught by some of their own teachers.

After the war Sheffield continued to grow and the school became overcrowded once more. In the 1970s mobile classrooms took up much of the playground space. Of course, the old Church connections were long forgotten, but against this background Diocesan plans to re-position an education arm in the area emerged.

The proposal, in 1969, to have a church school once more in Pitsmoor did not meet with universal approval.

The new school was built on Andover Street, on the site of the former St Catherine’s Roman Catholic School. Thus, Church School education was established in Pitsmoor – although really, it was really being re-established from much earlier times.

Today, it is perhaps not unique, but certainly unusual in so far as it is a church school with a strong Christian ethos that serves an almost entirely Muslim community. Over 90% of the pupils follow the Islamic faith. Somali, Yemeni and Pakistani families provide the vast majority of the pupils on roll.

On with the pics............:cool

14905391409_146ec2bf28_b.jpg

15092073145_d154df7e3d_b.jpg

15092073865_0c752fc33a_b.jpg

15091723372_5cb1b908f1_b.jpg

14905439270_39ccc34605_b.jpg

14905507248_f0f9559515_b.jpg

14905402059_76da74624d_b.jpg

15092083695_0888485fb8_b.jpg

14905462660_b14acb633b_b.jpg

15091739052_d4e3f55560_b.jpg

14905417109_2d5ffaea9c_b.jpg

14905523267_f6d3727542_b.jpg

15091739822_472748e89c_b.jpg

15089088861_d67881416e_b.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the report.....I Will Knot :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate :thumb

Sorry for forcing you away from your family ;) But i thought teasing you with externals would interest you somewhat just didn"t realise how long i"d have to wait for ya :tumbleweed:tumbleweed:D

Some nice piccy"s with your usual flair ;)

Didn"t notice the "Cool" Football, probably in another room making the most of it, avoiding your/Tripod legs :banghead'

Nice little mooch....well when you joined me, i was bricking it till then :)Then the Druids kept trying to get in Yaaaaa then i sort of lost interest :(

Yeah never gonna live those 999 calls down, and sorry for trying to induce a Coronary for both of us.....Communication issues :) But they were dealing Druids :eek: in an near identical Druids dealing car :)

As an add on, it"s up for sale for Residential use but other than use as a Nursing Home, i can"t see it being developed into much else....given it"s location. Unless they flatten it for Housing Association Houses or similar?

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate :thumb

Sorry for forcing you away from your family ;)

Some nice piccy"s with your usual flair ;)

Didn"t notice the "Cool" Football, probably in another room making the most of it, avoiding your/Tripod legs :banghead'

Nice little mooch....well when you joined me, i was bricking it till then :)Then the Druids kept trying to get in Yaaaaa then i sort of lost interest :(

Yeah never gonna live those 999 calls down, and sorry for trying to induce a Coronary for both of us.....Communication issues :) But they were dealing Druids :eek: in an near identical Druids dealing car :)

As an add on, it"s up for sale for Residential use but other than use as a Nursing Home, i can"t see it being developed into much else....given it"s location. Unless they flatten it for Housing Association Houses or similar?

Hey there, cheers........druids and druids all over the place, even inside when a couple turned up at the front door....not long before there odour drifted thro' :rolleyes: Yeah and I nearly left a trail on my way up to the dudes breakin' into their own car!!!!! :(

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Good one Will! Looks a great place!
Its a good job you didn't run wildly at those guys and then start smashing their heads in!
Try explaining that one to the 50! :laugh

The Lone Shadow

Kaplan

Procrastinator
28DL Full Member
Fuck! Boss!

Didn't even know about this one tbf. Really well captured, some sweet shots :thumb

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good one Will! Looks a great place!
Its a good job you didn't run wildly at those guys and then start smashing their heads in!
Try explaining that one to the 50! :laugh

The Lone Shadow

Yeah, we might have had a few other things to explain to the feds as well mate :D Thanks

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers there mate, but it was all down to Acid really :thumb Except the shots!!

All my fault as always....i accept it this time :)

Police...."Where are you calling from Sir"?....."er inside a School"......"SHIT"!!!!

And we"ll never know if they busted the Druids in the alleged getaway car whose reg i gave to the Police :rolleyes:

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice report. Amusing story too. I had intended to check this out, just never got around to it. Looks quite good though.