real time web analytics
Report - - Littlewoods Pools Air raid shelter, Liverpool, October 2011 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Littlewoods Pools Air raid shelter, Liverpool, October 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Littlewoods Pools Air raid shelter

History (Not much to go on sadly)

As Hitler’s bombs rained down on Liverpool, thousands of people were forced underground for shelter.

About 1,200ft of shelter was built beneath one of Liverpool’s landmark buildings to protect the workers.

The art deco building housed crucial elements of Britain’s war effort, with its printing presses churning out National Registration forms and boffins breaking Hitler’s codes.

Visit

I know that this report is a good 3 years old now, but at the time there were a few reasons why I could not post my photos straight away, fast forward 3 years and a lot has changed and I decided 'fook it', I don't think there is another report from this particular part of the building so I may as well post the shots.

It was a bit of a labor of love finding this place (I can't take credit for finally finding the access, as I am not a local to Liverpool), there was much talk about the existence of the shelter and some fantastic graffiti dating back to when the shelter was in operation, we had regular access to the inside of the main building but could never find the actual access point, on the 4th visit the entrance was finally located! Over the next few months I re-visited the shelter 4 or 5 times - its bloody massive! The best bit though has to be the art work, shame its stuck down there and is slowly being washed away, but at least there is now a photographic record of them.

[1]
IMG_2502.jpg

[2]
IMG_2504.jpg

[3]
IMG_2516.jpg

[4]
IMG_2542.jpg

[5]
IMG_2540.jpg

[6]
IMG_2517.jpg

[7]
IMG_2521.jpg

[8]
IMG_2522.jpg

[9]
IMG_2524.jpg

[10]
IMG_2526.jpg

[11]
IMG_2531.jpg

[12]
IMG_2532.jpg

My photos from the main building can be found HERE

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
I remember hearing the big building secca's radio from the end bay where the paintings are when I was there - added to the ambience :D

skgogosfan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for posting - good to see this cracked! Are they on the west side on the edge of the park? The ground level jumps up oddly right before the car park fence so I've always thought they were there.

Dave.