real time web analytics
Dewhirst Warehouse Sunderland Grange Town | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Dewhirst Warehouse Sunderland Grange Town

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kickasskev

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello Everyone

This is my first Explore and I was on my own, I had planned a visit there but to take other people too, but any way I was driving past and I thought what the hell lets go.

It was a bit spooky on my own, nearly caked my pants at one point a loud bang from the middle of the warehouse, I jumped and turned expecting to see someone but nothing was there, but I suppose these places make all types of noises and stuff only there is never anyone there to hear them!!!

I only stayed maybe 30 minutes because all I had was my camera no torch or masks or anything so didn't go in to deep to the darkest bits, but I managed to get some snaps and upload on here as this place has never been done before, which surprised me as it's been empty a while now.

History

To be honest I cant find anything about the history of this place other that a little snippet for a local news paper (Sunderland Echo) which I have copied and pasted below which was 2002

"THE Dewhirst girls feel betrayed.

As they walked out of the factory doors on the Leechmere Industrial Estate for the last time today, there were tears and hugs, anger and resignation at their fate, and countless vows to keep in touch.

Ninety days ago the bombshell was dropped. The Grangetown operation was to be shut down and transferred abroad to Morocco, where labour and costs are far cheaper.

The girls were left reeling by the news - it was half-expected but no less shocking when it came.

They feel betrayed by Dewhirsts"

What I do know is that once this place closed down it did reopen as a Littlewoods some time later but again eventually closed back down then reopened as Shop Direct then AGAIN closed down but that's as much as I know.

Now the bit I explored was only a small section of the whole place, it does extend a lot further where all the offices etc are but again I didn't venture to far and not sure I could access this section from the area I was, but I did notice easy access around the side while driving past with only a small 3/4ft fence/gate to climb and that lead straight in to the office section.

Below is a google maps of the area and the section I visited is in red and the other section I have highlighted in blue

Dewhirst_zpsdca1aa37.jpg

Then the shop Direct sign I saw on the way in.

IMG_0021_zps850f9515.jpg

This is the middle with my back to the office section

IMG_0022_zpsdb56219f.jpg

From the middle of the yard looking up

IMG_0023_zpsa5809116.jpg

View from the top

IMG_0030_zps4b1d9e32.jpg

Part of the roof is missing here, which helps a little for lighting

IMG_0031_zpsa8f9d144.jpg

Some Graf

IMG_0032_zps853d590d.jpg

Wouldn't make a very god fire exit if it were locked

IMG_0033_zps5172c550.jpg

Bottom section with the loading bay to the left

IMG_0034_zps7b220e05.jpg

Fire Safety Check in the loading bay?

IMG_0037_zpsb9106675.jpg

Scrap metal theifs hid in the loading bay by the looks of it to remove plastic from wiring

IMG_0038_zps366eb609.jpg

Funny this room because for all the warehouse had a stale smell about it this place still had an OFFICE smell to it, bit weird really considering there were no doors on this place

IMG_0039_zps5619e023.jpg

Another view of the same office

IMG_0040_zps55d5117b.jpg

Flakey paint hanging from the roof

IMG_0042_zps1627a8e6.jpg

Cabinet with some ointments for removing stains from garments

IMG_0044_zps49605462.jpg

Some old clothing hanger size beeds, presume this is off when it was dewhirsts!!!!

IMG_0047_zps4f9749f5.jpg

Forklift Truck with some art

IMG_0052_zps4e65d059.jpg

A section I didn't venture to as it was pretty bark

IMG_0054_zpsb64e4c9f.jpg

Had a quick look over my shoulder for knife operators before I took this pic!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0056_zpsc4b10285.jpg

This this might of been a bait room or a smoking room, didn't get a close look because again it was pretty dark over this way

IMG_0058_zpsba3af4cb.jpg

And Finally a view from my entrance down along the building

IMG_0061_zps30900096.jpg

OK

Sorry if there is to many pics but I'm a fan of having loads of images the more the merrier I rekon.

Comments welcome as this is my first explore

Hopefully I can get back here with someone(offers) and finish up.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks for posting this Kev, would you have any other images to replace some of the warehouse shots because they are too numerous TBH, also a date in the main title is required, month and year...see the cable monkeys have been in :)

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Basically means you have too many of the same sort of shot in the report mate, not bad for a first attempt though.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lenston is spot on Kev, whilst it looks like you had a great time, it looks like you have a lot of images that look the same, ie warehousing, it was obviously a good mooch for you but shots of signage, artifacts and stuff like that would make the report so much more interesting for members, sorry if it sounds like a downer but that is what it needs.

Kickasskev

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
NO mate thats fine, like I said its my first, i was open to comments and where I went wrong, and what to do next time to improve

Thanks

I have removed a few more

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
believe they are demolishing the building,
notice the pikies & chavs have been busy too

Kickasskev

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah the place is a mess off the dirty smack head theifs.

I did notice what looks to be some new mesh fencing around the bottom end where the loading bays are, so chances are they are gonna demo the site eventually.

T

The Queen

Well done for getting out there, I look forward to seeing what else you find in the future. One word of advice- Torch!! :)

Kickasskev

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah got a few good torches! Will fetch my tri-pod next time too will make photographing a lot easier.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
this place hasnt changed much then. I just wish theyd hurry up and demo.

You may like to try a bit further up the road.... nice mooch at mill. :)