real time web analytics
Report - - R & H Hall Flour Mills, Waterford Ireland - September 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - R & H Hall Flour Mills, Waterford Ireland - September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MJ-XX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Background & History

This huge complex sits on the North Wharf in Waterford city alongside the River Suir. Once the biggest employer of workers in the city, these flour mills now stand abandoned and crumbling away and havent been in use in over 15 years.

Designed by William Friel & built in 1905 using innovative construction methods developed by François Hennebique (1842 - 1921. Its one of only 2 of this type of structure in Ireland, the second being in Belfast. It consists of 5 large concrete structures, ranging from 2 - 12 floors high. There are also 2 warehouses on the east end & 14 towering grain silo's at the west end.

Residents and visitors to waterford have been complaining about here for years now, as its seen as a massive eye sore on the city. There are currently no plans to knock the buildings and its likely that it will be there for another few years at least. It was deemed to costly to knock them, which would be a gigantic job due to the fact the entire building is covered in asbestos, and simply imploding it with dynamite isnt an option, as the city is across the river and it would potentially be harmful.

The Journey

Another solo exploration, I began at about 2pm. Accessing the site is a bit tricky without being spotted as a very busy dual carriageway runs right along side the site, as well as a bus station, railyway line, petrol station & port.

I tried to be as smooth as possible but before I could even get inside I was spotted by about 7 other people who seemed to appear on the bridge above the railway line. I was about to call it a day until they made their way down to me and I asked them what they wanted. Turns out they were architecture students and wanted to take some photos. We hopped the fence together and we parted ways. They didnt go inside, instead just stood outside taking pictures.

NB: This is a pretty big explore & it can be very messy, dangerous, and dark. Bring good waterproof shoes, good pants, and full finger gloves are essential in my opinion. Its also the first time I wore my face mask, as some parts can be downright nasty and covered in rat shit, dead birds, and other unknown substances, chemicals etc.
I spent near 4 hours here and did not get to cover every building. Only 3 of the buildings are accessible. Everything else is boarded up.
Many staircases are rotting or collapsed, the floor is often littered with large holes & at ground level there are a few pits filled with deep river water so thread carefully!

1. Overview

sj6CjdS.jpg

E9ByhKC.jpg

3. Complex beside the grain silos

ciLbEvr.jpg

oHsC7Nb.jpg

ZtnSHU9.jpg

QuEQMc8.jpg

ad1quEf.jpg

5U2VDR5.jpg

7TBxcpp.jpg

cBGTjjS.jpg

d0SB0sh.jpg

FirzdBn.jpg

13. Getting up here involved climbing a tall 2 story iron ladder, on the 10th story with nothing but metal grate flooring beneath, I could see all the way to the bottom. It was terrifying yet so exciting!

tud7x0R.jpg

2Vw71s8.jpg

e1pLhXo.jpg

4j7HVgs.jpg

K6hU2Jo.jpg

VWCoBZs.jpg

19. View overlooking Waterford City

2jwjHH1.jpg

There are several other reports on here from over the years. This place is well worth a visit and quite popular amongst explorers.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/40664-R-amp-H-Hall-Waterford-Ireland-30-05-09
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums...s-Mill-Waterford-15-05-09?highlight=waterford
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums...our-Mills-Ireland-30-5-09?highlight=waterford

And thats it! :)
Its always been a dream of mine to visit here and I'm glad I got around to it. Once again apologies for my terrible photographic skills and thanks for reading :thumb

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Really glad this is still here but you appear to have not gone in the best bit!

MJ-XX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really glad this is still here but you appear to have not gone in the best bit!

Trust me, I tried so hard to get into the other parts but they've been heavily boarded up. I even climbed up to a second floor window to try gain access but it lead me nowehere but an empty room which was also boarded up on all exits.
Tell me, what is in the best part? Is it all the machinery that I've heard about?

MJ-XX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Yeah I figured it was those. Read your report and the others many years ago & its actually what sparked my interest in urban exploring believe it or not. I remember back in 2010 I was only 18 and went down there after seeing your report but I was too nervous and afraid to go in! Been thinking about it ever since so I suppose I have yourself and the others to thank!

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
This site looks huge. Nice report though. Hope you managed to get into the others bits.

Waterford guy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just to let you guys know, Waterford city council have signed contracts and the demolition of these buildings will commence within next 4-6 weeks.