real time web analytics
Report - - Coulsdon Deep Shelter - Surrey - September 2014 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Coulsdon Deep Shelter - Surrey - September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Hi there,

I know this has been covered many times, but this was my first ever Urban Exploration visit, so it seems right I post it.
Its a very interesting place, and still easy to get to. Once I figured out where it was at least.

I grabbed a bunch of friends armed with torches and went on my way.

Getting in and out is pretty easy as there is a pile of stuff to stand on directly under the hole.

The first thing I noticed is the graffiti and and rubbish dotted around the place. It's clear the place is visited fairly often.
It's deceivingly cold, we spent roughly 20 minutes down there and once we went back up the surface, it felt almost tropical.
The place is pretty surreal, with machinery and car parts all over the place. The strangest thing I found the complete silence. Living in a reasonably sized town, I am not used to hear silence like that. It felt so...empty.

If you have never been here, its well worth a visit. I don't want to give away the exact location, as half the fun was actually finding it :D

Edit: Added some history on it.
This is WW2 shelter, set under the grounds of the old Cane Hill Lunatic Asylum. In the 70s it was bought and used by an optics company for making lenses, but they eventually moved out because the moisture was corroding the machinery. It was finally used as car garage and stores for VW car spares (Hence the car parts scattered about), but the moisture in the air was still causing corrosion problems and they eventually moved out too. The three main entrances were sealed up not long after by the council.

Q0inW1I.jpg

mfB8wfJ.jpg

gNM2Bo9.jpg

Ns5jjWq.jpg

rzJa30w.jpg

thrhjyo.jpg

gsD9J2h.jpg

EC8SDaR.jpg

jyhyo3S.jpg

Pbx49Yu.jpg

Last edited:

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Been here loads of time but you make me want to go again.

Good stuff.

randy5566

28DL Member
28DL Member
The first thing I noticed is the graffiti and and rubbish dotted around the place. It's clear the place is visited fairly often.
It's deceivingly cold, we spent roughly 20 minutes down there and once we went back up the surface, it felt almost tropical.
The place is pretty surreal, with machinery and car parts all over the place. The strangest thing I found the complete silence. Living in a reasonably sized town, I am not used to hear silence like that. It felt so...empty???

Aventura

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know pictures of the entrance aren't allowed, which makes sense. I'm struggling to find where this is and an entrance, any clues or a private message would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I know pictures of the entrance aren't allowed, which makes sense. I'm struggling to find where this is and an entrance, any clues or a private message would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

And you are ?

.. Exactly, now let's see some useful contribution before handing out empty plates :popcorn

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
nice to see it being visited more..your pics are masive tho mate has no one else noticed?i have a 22 inch monitor and there filling it to the max

Aventura

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
And you are ?

.. Exactly, now let's see some useful contribution before handing out empty plates :popcorn

Someone that is in Coulsdon most weekends and was looking for urban places to go exploring and take photos of.
I'm looking for places around Crystal Palace and also in North London Haringey areas, so any suggestions welcome.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Someone that is in Coulsdon most weekends and was looking for urban places to go exploring and take photos of.
I'm looking for places around Crystal Palace and also in North London Haringey areas, so any suggestions welcome.

i suggest looking through the forum and maybe using the search bar..failing that google

wellingtonian

Subterráneo
Regular User

Start a thread on Facebook maybe..........