real time web analytics
Report - - Battersea Dock Cranes - September 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Battersea Dock Cranes - September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
After deciding to postpone another nearby event, we decided it was time to check these 2 small beauties out.
Its quite a pleasant part of the site to get to because you feel quite out of the way, and at peace once you have got over onto the jetty.
We took the original ladders up rather than the newly erected scaffold to 1)reduce our visibility and 2)experience the original way up. The wind was blowing in the right direction so that the park puppy didn't smell us.
The cabin was a rank odorous aviary full of crazy birds. They couldn't find a way out whilst I was in there and so they did continual kamikaze dives into the glass and then into my face. It made quite a noise. I had one of those 'why on earth am I here' moments in there.
Photography conditions were terrible - dark, cramped, no easy place to put tripod. The part off the jetty bobbing up and down. Most of my shots were on a totally guessed focus as it wouldn't lock, and lighting with torches was definitely no-no.
A pleasant walk down the river finished this rather lovely outing. Visited with another member-you know who you are. Thanks so much, it was a lovely evening.

The jetty facilities used two cranes to offload coal, with the capacity of unloading two ships at one time, at a rate of 480 tonnes an hour. Coal was also delivered by rail to the east of the station using the Brighton Main Line which passes near the site. Coal was usually delivered to the jetty, rather than by rail. A conveyor belt system was then used to take coal to the coal storage area or directly to the station’s boiler rooms. The conveyor belt system consisted of a series of bridges connected by towers. The coal storage area was a large concrete box capable of holding 75,000 tonnes of coal. This had an overhead gantry with a conveyor belt attached to the conveyor belt system, for taking coal from the coal store to the boiler rooms.
Coal was usually brought to the Battersea Power Station by collier ships, and unloaded by cranes, which are still intact on the station’s riverfront. These two cranes were used to unload coal from barges for Battersea Power Station, and despite 25 years of disuse are in remarkably complete condition. But obviously the owners of the Battersea Power Station don’t care much about that. They’ve already got permission to take the cranes down.

DSC_0138_zps074885b3.jpg

DSC_0135_zpsabff3a36.jpg

DSC_0126_zps6cfa4775.jpg

DSC_0102_zps13c01a6a.jpg

DSC_0089_zps6e11d673.jpg

DSC_0084_zps737e6f79.jpg

DSC_0078_zps72792fc2.jpg

DSC_0066_zpsa5dcfd08.jpg

DSC_0063_zpsc22e99a3.jpg

DSC_0048_zpse09240fa.jpg

DSC_0039_zps702a9951.jpg

DSC_0036_zps1b4a4388.jpg

DSC_0027_zps36de442a.jpg

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Good man. Never paid these the full attention I wanted to, rather gutted. That being said, I know it's not too late...

The_Raw

Staff member
Nice one dude, such a shame they're coming down, been wanting to see what these look like inside for ages :thumb

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The cranes are knackered and beyond restoration, the steel work is fucked, a couple of swings of the gas axe will see to them

Shame they were left to rot :(

PCWOX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice this :thumb How is the work coming on with the rest of the site at present?

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Cheers
Very nice this :thumb How is the work coming on with the rest of the site at present?
My colleague said there was lots of activity on the chimneys when he visited recently but on this night (1am week night) it was pretty quiet.
There is signs of work all over though and the scaffold is creeping up on one of the chimneys.
They also have the big sign advertising the fact that they are replacing the chimneys.
Its certainly much busier than when i visited 9months ago.

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The cranes are knackered and beyond restoration, the steel work is fucked, a couple of swings of the gas axe will see to them

Shame they were left to rot :(

When Downfallen did them a few years back he said they were mostly rust then and sketchy so good effort :thumb. You will notice there's only one makers nameplate on one arm of them too. This was intentional as it's on the plans I have seen *got at home, cough cough* ;)

squiddey4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sick, looks like it made for a great explore! Shame they're not gonna be there for long.