real time web analytics
Report - - Toft tunnel, Bourne, Lincolnshire, Sep14 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Toft tunnel, Bourne, Lincolnshire, Sep14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
I went to visit my mate in Nowheresville, Lincolnshire, and stopped by this tunnel along with a few other derps on the way back. I’ve visted before, but I was never happy with my original photos, so returned with my SLR.

Part of the former Bourne-Melton Mowbray railway line, the line was twin track, 330 yards long; opened in 1893, and closed in 1959. Interesting facts are it took 400 men, 2.5 million bricks and 2 years to build.

Today, the tunnel is surrounded by a nature reserve, with park benches, steps, and a pleasant woodland trail above the tunnel linking both portals. Despite the warning signs threatening falling masonry, the tunnel itself is in good condition considering its 50 year neglect.

Explore on my own.

IMG_8863.jpg

IMG_8865.jpg

IMG_8845.jpg

IMG_8839.jpg

IMG_8825.jpg

IMG_8827.jpg

IMG_8829.jpg

IMG_8831.jpg

IMG_8833.jpg

IMG_8857.jpg

IMG_8836.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That"s a nice tidy Tunnel there mate :thumb :)

Looks like it"s only recently been vacated when compared to our local ones :( and you get easy access as well....bonus :)

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Thanks Georgie and Gas man :)

Funny that some tunnels like this which are in good condition are fenced off, and others ive been to (example Mapperley) are open, but about to collapse

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Anyone got any ideas what the wooden boxes are on the wall? They're in the centre of the tunnel only

linkyork

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I read somewhere, cannot remember at this time, that the spoil from Toft tunnel was used in the building of the avoiding line embankments at Spalding.
Sadly these are now gone so I wonder where the material ended up,

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
I read somewhere, cannot remember at this time, that the spoil from Toft tunnel was used in the building of the avoiding line embankments at Spalding.
Sadly these are now gone so I wonder where the material ended up,

Yes some of the fenland railway lines through flat land, there isn't much evidence of them now days. Interesting bridges, tunnels, viaducts and culverts are pretty sparse on the fens