real time web analytics
Report - - Trubshaws Tramway Tunnel, Cauldon - Sept 2014 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Trubshaws Tramway Tunnel, Cauldon - Sept 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Well this one ended up hurting

The tramway tunnel is quite short and although the end I went in by was boggy and down a steep embankment it was relatively easy access.

Once inside there are sections of knee deep mud near the portal, there is a really dodgy looking bit of re-enforcement in the middle and waist deep mud and water at the end.

The real fun came when I was walking across the field and decided to duck under what looked like a white ribbon, the zip on my bag hooked the ribbon and next thing I knew I was on the floor face down being electrocuted, it came in pulses and between the forth and fifth jolt I managed to get the bag from off my shoulders and was clear.

I lay on the ground for a few minutes getting my breath back and realized I was going to have to get the bag off the fence so ended up using a stick to hook the bag while standing on the ribbon.

At least now I know why the cows keep clear of the fences.

Designed by local engineer James Trubshaw, the tramway consists of a series of self-acting inclines leading all the way from Froghall Wharf to the quarries. The horse-drawn flat sections of Rennie's plateway were dispensed with. Where necessary, substantial embankments and cuttings were constructed to keep the incline more-or-less constant and the final section, leading to the quarries, included a tunnel.

The technology used this time was that of a modern-style railway but using a three-rail system, in which the centre rail was shared by the up and down lines. Trains of climbing and descending wagons were linked by a continuous cable which ran on a series of rollers and guides along the centre of the tracks. At the top of each incline the cable passed through a braking system which controlled the trains' speed.
In the middle of each incline, the centre rail divided into a conventional double track layout, so that the trains could pass.

15380640531_6c4fe88748_c.jpg

15383800385_906f2cc986_c.jpg

15197228568_e8de6e44b7_c.jpg

15197313517_bf0c07d343_c.jpg

15197136700_66c18b6641_c.jpg

15197134710_f57526a1a1_c.jpg

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Looks a nice tunnel:thumb Hope you feel better after your shocking experience

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
It looks a skanky tunnel!
Sounds like you went through some missery to bring us this report
good work

maffu

28DL Member
28DL Member
was up this way yesterday had no idea a tram way was there will have to go for a poke about