real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Lower Balls Green Freestone Mine, Nailsworth - Sep 2014 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Lower Balls Green Freestone Mine, Nailsworth - Sep 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
A Permission visit organised by the Stroud Valley Project to raise money for future endeavours.

History:

Other than being a freestone mine I can find very little information about this online, if anyone has a good source could they let me know? One story I do know is that some NAMHO members got into the mine and caused some damage to the hopper that is still there, fortunately they came back not long after and repaired it.

The early history of these quarries is vague. Presumably quarrying of the fine oolite stone has been carried on at the outcrop since Roman times. Due to the steep hillsides, the overburden soon became to great and thus they went underground. There are a number of small scale developments. According to a 90 year old inhabitant of Nailsworth, a Mr William Mortimer who died in 1970 such places were worked in the winter months by cottagers employed in casual agricultural work during the summer.

Source: THE ROYAL FOREST OF DEAN CAVING CLUB NEWS LETTER No 34 (JULY / AUGUST 1971)

Visit:
We met up at the Weighbridge pub and then proceeded up to the mine entrance (on private land). I think I've been spoiled by Box as this mine is considerably smaller and easy to navigate. Our guide Chris was very knowledgeable and told us all about the different parts of the mine and how the miners used to do their jobs. We were taken around both main arteries of the mine but the two sections near the entrance were avoided as they as a bit less stable than the rest of the mine. The tour lasted just over two hours and we came away very satisfied.

Visited by: Ourtcloud, Tallrich and fifteen other strangers.

Photos.

Loading bay

0h4os8X.jpg

Workings

qxZCWRE.jpg

The last large stone

Q9bmumh.jpg

Main conduit

EuqS3bJ.jpg

Our Guide checking out a melty wall

o23ukyf.jpg

Small crab winch

7n0Tutn.jpg

Calcite

0wsOdkg.jpg

Large avenue

wAasYGG.jpg

Mushroom pillar

aE0uTdb.jpg

Walking up the pony track to the egresse

BYwAXto.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey,great pics mate,you might yet persuade me to go underground!:Not Worthy

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Thanks guys! had a good time but permission visits are a lot less fun, no tripod or light painting was allowed :(

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
FYI: Asking for access details for sites on a publicly viewable section of the forum is not how its done here.

Last edited:

Jr99

28DL Member
28DL Member
thanks for the information and ill take your advise on posting on this site.

thanks

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
I'm assuming, since you've not put up an introduction thread, that you've not been underground before; if that's not true then please ignore some of my more cautionary advice. :thumb

Oh and welcome!