real time web analytics
Report - - Severalls Hospital Colchester – October 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Severalls Hospital Colchester – October 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
The History

It’s safe to say the history of this site is well published on the forum. Summarised, the site was an asylum built in 1910 designed by architect Frank Whitmore. It closed in 1997 and has been left to decay, becoming a hot spot for urban explorers – and rightly so as it represents a closed chapter on previous medicine and hospital building design.

From my understanding, the main hospital site/land is still owned by the NHS and previous sales in the past have fallen through (for various reasons). Surrounding areas have seen new development and it’s likely any demolition of the entire site will probably happen in stages.

The Explore

After a technical reccy and careful planning (credit to Slayaaaa and Oakley for recent intel) both me and exploring buddy Boomstick84 travelled to the site. We approached with as much stealth as possible, waiting for the right time to move. Narrowly missing an instant bust (phew) we quickly made our way inside the perimeter.

Once inside we quickly got to the first building, methodically moving around the south west quarter of the site using GPS. We got around 4 hours decent exploring before being gracefully busted by Michael. Partly our own fault, although he was hot on our tracks. Very politely, he took our details and kindly showed us the ‘easy’ way out.

The Photos

DSC_0156_zps2aa738b3.jpg

DSC_0094_zpsa71786e4.jpg

DSC_0117_zps290ba87a.jpg

DSC_0120_zpscef3e34c.jpg

DSC_0142_zpsd99e809d.jpg

DSC_0152_zps7b4bcb76.jpg

DSC_0162_zpsefb90edd.jpg

DSC_0173_zpsc1efb09a.jpg

DSC_0174_zpsf84dd2f1.jpg

DSC_0190_zps26f9fb7c.jpg

DSC_0197_zpsac5b5adf.jpg

Mr Boomstick84
DSC_0204_zpsc0dd07f6.jpg

DSC_0232_zps3b27126f.jpg

Doors not yet closed at Severalls, thanks for looking!
DSC_0247_zps33a93972.jpg

Last edited:

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Severalls Hospital Colchester – October 2014, with Ghost Photo??!!

Nice report mate, really do like that first shot! :thumb

Was a fun day all round, shame we didn't get to cover the rest but all things considered I think we got a decent run at it. Perfect day for it too, seeing Sevs as the sun came up made it look pretty spectacular.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Re: Severalls Hospital Colchester – October 2014, with Ghost Photo??!!

Nice pics!

With that trick of the light pic, I can see a sort of spiral shaft of light halfway down the corridor but other than that nothing, what am I supposed to be looking for?

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Fantastic shots mate! :thumb I wonder how long this plce will be standing for? Must get in gear and get down here before it's too late

Thanks mate :thumb It's anyone's guess but any project to remove the entire site will take some time.

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details