real time web analytics
Report - - Great Oxendon - closed - Tunnels (The Rat Holes), Northants, Oct14 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Great Oxendon - closed - Tunnels (The Rat Holes), Northants, Oct14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Something new for the forum!
The southbound bore is open to the public as a cycle path, and I have visited many times over the years. But it is the closed northbound bore that has always held my interest. Firstly, due to the curve, you cannot see through it, unlike its counterpart. Secondly, it has a few items cluttering the tunnel, and thirdly, there are no photos on the internet of the inside of the tunnel.

I first visited the twin tunnels in 1994, so was very lucky to finally see inside the closed tunnel. It was rewardingly very different from the public tunnel. Its curve leaving it pitch black in the centre, leaking water, bulging sides threatening collapse, unusual ceiling recesses, colours, and gated ends are all interesting features.

An enjoyable explore with JuJu, KM Punk, & Stranton.

The Northampton to Market Harborough line opened in 1859 and had tunnels at Great Oxendon and nearby Kelmarsh. The original tunnel was single-track (422M), and when the line was doubled a second single-track tunnel was built. The second tunnel had an airshaft, and is now a cycle path all the way to Northampton. The line closed in 1981.

IMG_9106.jpg

IMG_9098.jpg

IMG_9095.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

The Wombat & Stranton

IMG_9087.jpg

South Portal:
IMG_9083.jpg

My favourite shot
IMG_9069.jpg

IMG_9060.jpg

Random
IMG_9078.jpg

IMG_9077.jpg

THE OPEN TUNNEL

Here are a few shots from the open tunnel, to show the comparison.
These were taken earlier this year.​

IMG_6547.jpg

IMG_6553.jpg

Airshaft
IMG_6536.jpg

The clean and straight public tunnel
IMG_6537.jpg

As always, thanks for looking :)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you can just move that trailer out of the picture :)

Nice ones mate :thumb love a good old tunnel

That"s some impressive portal gates going on there :)

JuJu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice set of shots there, don't think mine will come out quite as good. Really enjoyed today :) need some more exploring trousers now as managed to split the arse on my only good pair. Must have been all the sliding.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fantastic place this Mr womblebat, that space age camera is doing the biz :thumb ..any good bits on that bike :D

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Nine thumbs! This shares first place in my most popular reports

Many thanks to all of you for your comments :)

Great to get this one done; been on the list since 1994!