real time web analytics
Report - - Rauceby Mental Hospital / Kesteven County Asylum, Lincolnshire, Oct 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rauceby Mental Hospital / Kesteven County Asylum, Lincolnshire, Oct 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dhdcdarchy

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi there,

Completely new to this so please excuse me.

A friend and I did our first bit of urban exploration today at ‘Rauceby Hospital'. I understand that this is quite a commonly documented location but I thought I’d share my pictures and thoughts anyway to sort of say hello since I've only just joined the forum.

Having never done this before and not doing too much research beforehand I still thoroughly enjoyed the visit (although I wish I’d have gone up to the clock tower). We explored the place pretty extensively however with missing floors and staircases it was all too easy to become disorientated in the larger buildings so we undoubtedly missed a few bits and bobs.

A few overview shots of the grounds:

1_zps540d6eed.jpg

2_zps2780783e.jpg

3_zpsfa7ae1c0.jpg

4_zpsb1bd895d.jpg

View of the Cathedral from the Elevator pulley tower:

5_zpsdaf1647e.png

A few pictures from inside the Pulley tower:

9_zpscfa1d76d.png

7_zpsfae0ad94.png

6_zps9e1f5bb0.jpg

I took a few more very shoddy pictures of the inside of the Pulley tower.
The motor itself and some override buttons:

10_zps57950d3b.png

11_zpsa1c1a4ae.png

An electrical cabinet mounted on the wall:

12_zpscea31cc7.png

Coming back down (cheesy grin present):

13_zpsf583b26a.jpg

Unfortunately we didn't climb the clock tower of the admin building, this is as far as we got:

20141011_150400_zps6241de86.jpg

Another interesting thing we didn't get to fully check out was some form of basement area in one of the larger buildings (containing one of the elevators) which caught my eye when I was above the room and the torch got glimpse of an old telephone reflecting off the water in the room.

14_zpscbcd9db0.png

We found the stairs to get down and discovered the whole room was submerged in water. I was very intrigued as to what the room contained but didn't fancy even touching the stagnated water which had engulfed it.

15_zps013091dd.png

Despite enjoying the sights of the defunct and derelict institution I can’t help but feel I was too late, with many of the buildings stripped fairly bare there was little evidence left of its history. It seems a shame that it has been stripped so bare and then left to stand, I would've loved to go round when it was in a more complete state.

I have been interested in the whole premise of Urban Exploration for some time and having now found the forum I will definitely be exploring in other locations (with a better camera)

Thanks for reading :)

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not bad for a first report that, but it may be worth leaving out any blurry pictures from future reports as they tend to distract from the overall report and will probably be the thing most people comment on.

Also, you need to add some history about the site to the opening bit of the report too.

mattdonut

Like and subscribe
28DL Full Member
its not moved on much if at all !!
go on ya for getting out and about, did you do orchard house over the back ?

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Not at all bad for a first explore, but yeah not masses to see here now.
I don't think those building materials in crates/pallets were there last time I went, so maybe something is finally happening.

DubbedNavigator

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not at all bad for a first explore, but yeah not masses to see here now.
I don't think those building materials in crates/pallets were there last time I went, so maybe something is finally happening.

That wasn't there a couple of years back, but then there is more path work then there was.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
I was there a few months back while passing and there were contractors up to something. The pallets of materials etc arrived with them I believe.

It was actually quite amusing as I got caught exiting the chapel.

Good report!

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member
Good report mate :thumb was told a while ago that this place isn't there anymore :(

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I dropped by a few months back and it looks like they're just using the asylum grounds to store materials for the new build houses they're working on a few hundred metres away unfortunately.

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Those building materials have been there a while. See the chapel is loosing all its hoarding - guess the sale fell through?
Good report btw

Satanic Panic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Those building materials have been there a while. See the chapel is loosing all its hoarding - guess the sale fell through?
Good report btw

http://www.grahampennyauctions.com/...roperty&groupco=&id=5324&pop=1&tmpl=component

Have been down in last month again to take a new visitor there. They are starting to do work in the chapel, they have dug long 2 foot holes, guess for extra support beams or separating it for the units. The main buildings ain't really been touched , just used for storage it seems.
Also the whole site is a little more secure, nothing major.

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
http://www.grahampennyauctions.com/...roperty&groupco=&id=5324&pop=1&tmpl=component

Have been down in last month again to take a new visitor there. They are starting to do work in the chapel, they have dug long 2 foot holes, guess for extra support beams or separating it for the units. The main buildings ain't really been touched , just used for storage it seems.
Also the whole site is a little more secure, nothing major.

Not bad for £96 grand. Not sure about the situated in a 'prestigious housing development' - modest with the truth perhaps...

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Kinell, will they ever finish off the orginal annex? I'm fully expecting them to knock all but the listed greenhouse down at some point and just build souless boxes.

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Good to see this place still getting a bit of love.

That ladder up to the lift machinery room is a tad dodgy ain't it :D