real time web analytics
Report - - RNAD Ditton priors oct 2014 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RNAD Ditton priors oct 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

lucan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
RNAD Ditton priors
The depot, which had 25 magazines and four stores for naval mines, opened in 1941 around Brown Clee Hill. The buildings were camouflaged and served by rail sidings. Trains and their dangerous cargo could then be loaded and unloaded inside.

In 1960 the railway line was finally closed but the Royal Navy continued to use Ditton Priors until 1965. The following year the depot was taken over by US forces that had left France following the French withdrawal from NATO's military structure.

The depot finally closed in 1968
The depot was established in 1939, South-East of Ditton village on land made available by Lord Boyne, and made use of the existing Ditton Priors Light Railway, which had sidings in the depot. Following the opening of the RNAD, the steam locomotives were fitted with spark arrestors but, after the arrival of RNAD diesel locomotives, they did not enter the armaments depot. The steam locomotive was taken off the goods train at Cleobury North and the wagons were drawn into the depot by an RNAD diesel locomotive. Three "flameproof" diesel locomotives were supplied by Ruston and Hornsby between 1952 and 1955. Before the Rustons, a Planet diesel locomotive is believed to have been used but its dates of arrival and departure are not known

Now the site is part used as an industrial estate but a lot lies hidden in the woods and forgotten
took the bikes to this place as its quite spread out

2zpiiw9.jpg

2dbj91d.jpg

1zwzxpi.jpg

mkanlt.jpg

2rffp5c.jpg

72b09e.jpg

k9wa34.jpg

zkg60i.jpg

rvzghj.jpg

vr6hhh.jpg

29olo2f.jpg

3sgaa.jpg

9h8bw1.jpg

2n16l1.jpg

thanks for lookin

Last edited:

lucan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: RNAD Ditton priors oct 2014 shropshire

Nice one, you seem to be getting a few good sites down :thumb

thanks ,, could have spent more time i spoted an old wooden hut at the far end needs a closer look but had to keep an eye out for this fella as i had my daughter allong

24dh3li.jpg

Last edited:

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Additional info:

The depot was established in 1939, South-East of Ditton village on land made available by Lord Boyne, and made use of the existing Ditton Priors Light Railway, which had sidings in the depot. Following the opening of the RNAD, the steam locomotives were fitted with spark arrestors but, after the arrival of RNAD diesel locomotives, they did not enter the armaments depot. The steam locomotive was taken off the goods train at Cleobury North and the wagons were drawn into the depot by an RNAD diesel locomotive. Three "flameproof" diesel locomotives were supplied by Ruston and Hornsby between 1952 and 1955. Before the Rustons, a Planet diesel locomotive is believed to have been used but its dates of arrival and departure are not known.

Bernard O'Connor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
thanks for the extra info there :thumb
Hi Lucan- amazed to see all these photos of the Ditton site. I'm embarking on a small project to interview some of those who worked at the depot and plan to produce a small booklet. Giving acknowledgement in the introduction, within the text and bibliography, might I be able to include them? A signed copy in return?