real time web analytics
Report - - Mount Elliot tunnel & railway bridge - Wexford, Ireland - October 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mount Elliot tunnel & railway bridge - Wexford, Ireland - October 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MJ-XX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's been done before on here, but I checked it out today and thought I would throw up some pictures.
Really a great and simple explore. Fantastic rock work inside.

Part of the Macmine Junction to New Ross rail line, construction started in 1885 and it officially opened in 1887. Line was abandoned and the last train passed through in 1995. Since then any track has been removed.

Littered with graffiti and beer cans at the entrance but its generally untouched near the centre of the tunnel. Hard to spot as its within a forest.

1. Bridge across the river barrow.

nruOtuH.jpg

2. of all the bridges ive explored this one seemed to be in the poorest condition.

521Sx7q.jpg

3. No flooring left across the centre span. This span pivots/swings and you can see some of the cog wheels left if you were brave enough to climb out to the middle.

JCvilmi.jpg

4. The tunnel is hidden within this forest. You can see where the track used to be.

XStaJwn.jpg

5. South entrance by the bridge. Easiest to access from here.

MlxZOeC.jpg

p9EXJIx.jpg

K7woF4T.jpg

MZZSFqR.jpg

9. A smalle streams flows through the entire tunnel. The North side is flooded about ankle deep.

Qlk3Nad.jpg

JVmX8DR.jpg

aERVjfw.jpg

ksO8EaA.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Like it :thumb

Needs a bigger torch/longer exposure though to show it off properly..... next time :)

How long is the tunnel ?

Like old steel bridges ;)

MJ-XX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Alls I have is a fenix fenix ld20, which does a fantastic job tbh. Better than my first attempts at taking photos in a tunnel (see my first report on here).
According to the other explore of this tunnel reported on here, its about 700m. Seemed a bit longer than that however.