real time web analytics
Report - - Heath house, A 10 storey office block, Southend-on-sea, Essex, October 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Heath house, A 10 storey office block, Southend-on-sea, Essex, October 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Intro

This is Heath house, Dubbed the Derp house by myself, a derelict 10 Storey set of offices.

A spontaneous visit with Boomstick84, Rob and Oakley who stayed at the bottom, then decided to crack Carby house next door.

Good views, nice high roof, otherwise a foetid rotting piss poor excuse of a building.

I'll try and give as much history as I can find.

History

The site was built along side 7 others as a 'gateway to Southend'. Now derelict, the whole of Victoria avenue looks a lot similar to something leading to hell.

Showing past businesses, Heath insurance and University planning had once worked here: http://eastanglia-businessdirectory.com/company-heath-insurance-broking-ltd_191381 and http://southend-on-sea.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/universal-planning-services-16626475.html

It was closed in the 1990's after only 30 years during a large period of debt, this along with the most of Victoria avenue was to remain derelict until the present day.

Wish I had more History, but nothing. Looked everywhere, if anyone finds any, send me a PM or comment here and I'll add it with a credit to yourself. Cheers.

The present site

As it stands, the council's plan hasn't begun yet, the place is still derelict and nothing has begun as of yet. Graffiti, stench, trash and all sorts litter the site. vandals have smashed windows, ripped doors and even a whole brick wall at the top.

Taken from an article:

Former bustling business area of Southend is partly resembling an abandoned ghost town.

Four of the nine office blocks in Victoria Avenue have an eerie feel about them as they are completely empty, with their doors locked shut.

No life can be found within Carby House, Heath House, Victoria House and Premier House.

Carby and Heath were earmarked for development back in 2004, but detailed plans about the development have failed to materialise.

The credit crisis is not helping and it seems it will be a while before developers breathe new life into the once thriving business centre.

The council has long wanted to see the area become an attractive and vibrant “gateway†to the town centre.

Transforming these two empty blocks is pivotal to that vision.

For years Heath House was the flagship of a thriving business community.

But a large question mark has remained over its future and redevelopment after insurance group C E Heath announced it would shut in the 1990s.

Since shutting its doors the building has been boarded-up to prevent further vandalism.

Anna Waite, Southend councillor responsible for planning, said: “I wish I knew what was happening. I haven’t heard anything from the developers for months.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/378...thend_office_blocks_as_credit_crunch_deepens/

The future

The future of the hole avenue has been uncertain until April this year, the credit crunch caused delays and problems for these sites, but now the council have acquired the sites with compulsory purchase powers and plan to re-develop the area.

The Council has agreed to defer the special meetings which were planned for 2nd September to consider the use of compulsory purchase powers to acquire Heath House and Carby House.

This step has been taken following positive meetings between officers and the owner’s agents which have revealed that the owner is in advanced stages of negotiation for the sale of the properties so that development can be brought.

Councillor Ron Woodley, Leader of Southend-on-Sea Borough Council, said: “This progress is good news and is as a result of the initiative taken by the Council in entering in to discussions with the owner and the general upturn in the property market.â€

The Council has a clear ambition to see these dilapidated buildings redeveloped to assist with the regeneration of Victoria Avenue, as well as removing a blot on the landscape. The Council’s preference is also that this regeneration be undertaken by the private sector, so that public money can be used for further initiatives to regenerate the area.

Accordingly, the Council does not want to take any steps at this stage which could jeopardise the successful conclusion of the negotiations, hence the reason for not proceeding with the meetings on 2nd September.

http://www.southend.gov.uk/news/article/228/heath_and_carby_house_–_special_meetings_deferred

Planning/other applications: http://southend.jdi-consult.net/localplan/viewrepfull.php?repid=1273

The visit/explore

An odd site, huge building that's been derelict for a while, enjoyable and worth it if you've got a spare 5 minutes to run to the top and back again.

It stinks at the bottom and is likely to be used for a temporary home, canvas and pit of pestilence for the local alcoholics and druggies. Needles for all.

But after the get past the rotted first floor (i skipped it all together and climbed to the 2nd), it lightens up and the smell wafts away leaving you with a nice breeze from all the smashed windows, not as much graffiti as I thought either, then it's to the top.

the others were at the top of Carby next door and sent a wave. I'll post some pics up if they're happy.

Pictures

On with the pics.

A couple East external shots of the rotting shell

15584890631_ee5b9f32d0_z.jpg

14967394023_f8172f7ef9_z.jpg

Inside, where vandals had started demolition themselves by literally ripping this brick wall down.

15401946110_762aab27e3_z.jpg

A view from a window of what I believe is Victoria house (could be wrong), it was supposedly due for demolition 3 years ago.

15400935429_d6aca1ea16_z.jpg

Window cleaner's lift with fuses ripped

15401562277_e3d3ed4ae7_z.jpg

Another view from a window

15563879716_4e80221db2_z.jpg

As a say relatively clean for what it is and where it is

15401962410_6490b62af1_z.jpg

Lift motor room sign

15401449348_9788c2446e_z.jpg

The roof with the window cleaner's lift in view

14967365793_8fa25588f7_z.jpg

Another roof shot

15588348272_32249b93f5_z.jpg

A view over Carby looking South to South-East

15588340102_8cfdaf0b47_z.jpg

Looking South-West

15588336082_0ae60331a0_z.jpg

Looking down with Carby

15588363742_d583fb7162_z.jpg

Looking North over Southend

15588397902_82ed06dd38_z.jpg

A window shot looking South-East

15401418858_e9a802b395_z.jpg

Pillars and emptiness, if you visit, watch out for the holes in the floor as they are sudden and drop at least 1 storey. The lift shaft too.

15587539305_9c2f2aa8a4_z.jpg

Looking South

14966790634_8302ba38e2_z.jpg

Window cleaner's platform

15401385938_4938678ca8_z.jpg

Finally, a pic of some dodgy demolition looking North

14966784274_50cb88397d_z.jpg

Thinking back and looking at these pics, i wonder what i saw in the place, then I remembered the roof, amazing, view of everything. It's on of the Tallest buildings in the area and is easy once inside, no security. The roof is just great, I could've easily sat up there in a deck chair with a few drinks. Very relaxing and just chill. It'd be ace if someone got up there for night shots on a nice evening with a sun set to watch disappear.

Hope you enjoyed it, get along if you want to have a picnic. Just feels really good to be that high up. Also a perfect opportunity for some awesome long exposed night shots of the town and surrounding area.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Re: Heath house, a 10 storey office block, Southend, Essex, October

Great pics, pretty damn good for an off the cuff explore :thumbs

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member

Haha, took me a while to read through your essay at the start, but it's well written. I like finding a quick old roof to run to the top of. Nice photos as an end product :thumb

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Haha, took me a while to read through your essay at the start, but it's well written. I like finding a quick old roof to run to the top of. Nice photos as an end product :thumb

Ah, I appreciate that a lot my friend, didn't think much of it to begin with but it was very enjoyable to say the least. :)

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate. :thumb

Props for getting in, had the building held a little more personal appeal (and I was as nimble as you are! :D)I might have given it a better go myself, looks like the roof was worth it in the end!

Last edited:

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Great pics mate. Well done on entry, proper grease man style!

I'll send you over the snaps I took of you from the other building roof. :thumb

billy_edmonds

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow! Awesome work here! Iv been trying to gain entry into this one for months without any hope! Iv done the building directly next door to this though!

seasaint

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report and nice photos. I hope my future reports will be as good as this.

M40A3 Carrl

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice Pics I started a school project on this and I really enjoyed doing it I hope I can gain access. Also you know the graffiti of the chicken bone by the roof my friends brother did that's he's a cheeky fuck ;)