real time web analytics
Report - - Prospects College, Westcliff, Essex - October 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Prospects College, Westcliff, Essex - October 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
The History

Prospects College, located adjacent to the Roots Hall football stadium in Southend, was a former vocational college - providing engineering and construction skills training and apprenticeships.

From the several Prospects sites dotted around Essex, very little seems to exist around the exact history of this particular location. It closed in 2010 and merged with the Futures College site in Southchurch Boulevard Southend, becoming known as Prospects College of Advanced Technology (PROCAT).

According to an article dated April 2012 the site was sold to Sainsburys for £2million as part of a redevelopment plan. Another article in 2013 suggests Sainsburys are negotiating the purchase of other nearby sites before development can take place.

The empty building appears to be relatively modern, showing very little signs of serious decay from the outside. In fact, it would be very easy to pass by without noticing – as windows are undamaged and few boards in place.

The Explore

Heading out as a team made up of me, Boomstick84, Slayaaaa and Oakley – this was one of a few sites we had on our list for the day. Following an initial failed entry at another closed school, we made our way over to Prospects. Entry to the perimeter had to be quick due to being on full view of passing traffic and then a very tight entry was gained by our greaseman Slayaaaa who kindly established an easy route in for the rest of us.

With the exception of a small amount of damp towards the rear of the building, things were very clean inside. An interesting site that is split between a large workshop area at the rear (with separate areas setup for learning trades such as workwork, painting, wallpapering, tiling, plumbing etc) and an office/admin area at the front.

Strangely we were surprised to find the CCTV system still running in the reception area, with a screen showing all the cameras still active (and exposing us derping around the building which was amusing). Despite this we roamed the site for about an hour or so without any trouble, doubtful that anyone was actually watching!

The Photos

A selection of mine below, with contributions by the others to be added.

DSC_0083_zps054b8882.jpg

DSC_0088_zpsf3b6b7ec.jpg

DSC_0089_zps8b79ad07.jpg

DSC_0093_zpsf0318c2e.jpg

DSC_0094_zps2dbc7ba9.jpg

DSC_0095_zpsb0ef33ca.jpg

DSC_0101_zpsb4f04d55.jpg

DSC_0103_zpsf42af036.jpg

DSC_0104_zpsd232a2c7.jpg

DSC_0105_zps94b1dba2.jpg

DSC_0119_zps19302c3b.jpg

DSC_0131_zpsdd8ba15f.jpg

DSC_0137_zpsd5a0edfd.jpg

DSC_0143_zps4e32ff66.jpg

DSC_0150_zps9e8af4a1.jpg

DSC_0163_zps9c0e41f6.jpg

Ocean’s 4 – Oakley, Boomstick84, Robg172 and Slayaaa. Thanks for looking!
DSC_0177_zpsa63f1efd.jpg

Last edited:

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah, nice one Rob, t'was a good laugh, thoroughly enjoyed it! Love the last shot too. :thumb

Shall add a few of mine tomorrow once uploaded to Flickr.

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Great photos there mate, nicely capturing some other dimensions of the site. No actually, I don't think anyone did the outside actually whoops!

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice work gents! :thumb

Was a fun one this, certainly wouldn't have happened if it weren't for someone's contortionist like skills so cheers for that mate ;)

Looks like you covered everything worth covering but will try and add a couple if I have anything different. :thumb

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Brilliant pics Boomstick, CCTV one is ace - was looking forward to seeing that! :thumb.