real time web analytics
Report - - Takeaway, Manchester - Oct 14 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Takeaway, Manchester - Oct 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Moss Side used to have it's own seperate sewer system prior to full amalgamation with Manchester in 1904. The 4ft Moss Side Outfall Sewer collected flows from several trunk sewers and proceeded Southwest for just under a mile and a half to a works by the River Mersey. After joining with Manchester the City Surveyor drew up plans to connect the existing Moss Side sewers to the Main Drainage system. The Moss Side works was retained but would receive reduced flows.

One of the main trunk sewers was relieved by a small connection to the new Work 10 interceptor which would take excess stormwater. The trunk then continued to a junction where another joined and the combined flows became the Outfall Sewer (see orange lines on here). This junction was converted into an overflow chamber, the Outfall sewer became an overflow pipe and the continuation flow dropped down into a new sewer which ran underneath. This then proceeded Northwards for around 800m and joined Manchester's Outfall B sewer on the southern part of Absolution Gap.

15653139662_a00b27d614_b.jpg

After popping the lid and having a quick look I shouted up to fishbrain and Morse to come down. It was a small space for 3 people but between the landing, overflow chamber and sewer underneath we just about managed to fit in. The underside of one of the ceilings held an impressive array of snotsicles and surfaces were generally fatty and disgusting.

15649630731_2869a039fa_b.jpg

The sewer that runs underneath and takes away the flows from the chamber above.

15652316775_b3ab72f592_b.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice brick overflow chamber

Good to see another piece of the Work 17 interceptor :thumb

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah I avoided using that name on purpose, I don't know where they got that one from as only 16 of the Work Series were built from the records I've seen.

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Good shit!
Your lighting has brought out the beautiful colours of the brickwork down there.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
im slowly starting to understand drain/sewer speak..nicely explained mate :thumb