real time web analytics
Report - - St Clements Lunatic Asylum - Bow - November 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Clements Lunatic Asylum - Bow - November 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Urban Diaries

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

History:

This building was originally built in 1848-49 as a workhouse, for the Board of Guardians of the City of London Union. It became an infirmary for the same union in 1874, and in 1912 the Bow Institution for the long-term sick. In 1936 it became a psychiatric unit, under the St Clements name again. It became part of the London Hospital in 1968 and went through various organisational changes until closure in 2005. Services were transferred to a new Adult Mental Health Facility at Mile End Hospital in 2005.

Exploration:
This was a fairy easy to access explore, the majority of the site is under construction currently and many rooms are taped off with "Danger Asbestos" signs. The majority of the place is gutted too which was a shame.
So we decided to visit at sundown for the clocktower view, unfortunately I struggled to get many good quality photos due to security constantly doing rounds(we went the day after halloween) and the lighting conditions. The view was awesome though, I wish my photos could do it justice.

Just a tip for any other newbies, take an Asbestos mask with you, we almost didn't take ours and it would have been a big mistake.

Anyway, enjoy!

DSC_0068_zps2c02a041.jpg

CSC_0094_zps65a62b0c.jpg

DSC_0075_zps39c5ccb1.jpg

DSC_0082_zpsf6a83426.jpg

DSC_0099_zpsfaf2975f.jpg

CSC_0091_zps3719b893.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: St Clements Lunatic Asylum - Bow

Some nice shots there considering the light conditions.

You need to add some history to the report and a month to the thread title though :thumb

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one man! Seems you had a good time! Awesome site that wish there was more left as I loved this place. I was looking forward to your pics haha. :thumb

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
It was never known as an asylum - workhouse origins and then just a hospital. There is *no* such thing as Lunatic Asylum, only a Lunatic Asylum ;)

Good work all the same

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
Never been to this place, I wonder what's going to be left of it? :rolleyes: Nice shots by the way :thumb

AndrewB

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I like how you wear masks and think that shit don't get on your clothes & kit.

Urban Diaries

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ofcourse we know it get on our clothes and kit... However clothes and kit can be washed, unlike our lungs, hence the use of masks.