real time web analytics
Report - - Scrapyard Crane, Portsmouth - November 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Scrapyard Crane, Portsmouth - November 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

satimal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Anyone who has driven into Portsmouth within the last few months would have noticed a huge odd-looking crane on a barge in Pounds Scrapyard, to the right of the motorway when driving into the city. Here is a picture of it I found online.

2964329187_7d78f05f93.jpg

It's called a Canute crane and is based at Southampton Docks. Built in 1969 in Holland, it's 47m tall with a 200 tonne capacity. After driving past it most days I realised that I had to do it. Unfortunately I managed to leave my camera in the car and there was no way I was going back just to get it, so all the photos are taken on an iPhone so apologies for the lack of quality - 'It's the thought that counts'.

15561473919_cc9166c2de.jpg

15747351215_ea15dbebfd.jpg

15748881352_a24ee7a775.jpg

15745445481_441ab44635.jpg

Might even be worth going back with a proper camera to take some of these in higher quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I love the look of this crane mate and well in for doing it, it looks like a scientific miracle that it stays upright even unladen. We have a similar one that appears from time to time in the local docks called the Mamoth and I always gawp when I see it :)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice work taking the opportunity when presented. Shame about the pictures but hey it's not the end of the world.

seaven

renown for nothing
28DL Full Member
Kudos ! That old thing doesn't look like it was designed to stay up for very long.

Gurgeh

28DL Member
28DL Member
Awesome work.

I think That it's kind of sinister looking when you first see it heading north from Rudmore. Especially in the half light. For some reason it reminds me of a fighting machine from War of the Worlds.