real time web analytics
Report - - Catesby tunnel MkII, Northants - Nov 2014 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Catesby tunnel MkII, Northants - Nov 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
I’d heard this place was going to be converted to an aerodynamic testing facility, where vehicles could be tested cheaper & more accurately than a conventional wind tunnel. I needed to see it one last time, and get some shots with my DSLR.
I didn’t know how much truth there was in this rumour, but when we arrived we found a lot has changed since my last visit a year and a half ago. The previously overgrown portal has been completely cleared, and some of the drains have been unblocked which has alleviated the flooding at the north portal. They’ve got a way to go yet, but a bit of money has already been spent.

On my previous visit we found a mobile phone & camera flash in the tunnel. The owner who’d had a fall in catchpit in the tunnel earlier that day, had to dash to hospital. We got in touch with the owner of these items, and they were duly returned. That person was Infraredd, so it seemed appropriate that we meet for an explore there.

So on a misty day met up with Infraredd, JuJu, Pigdog, and legendary explorer dog… Binky!:Not Worthy

Last time I only got as far as the last airshaft; we ran out of time and figured we had seen what there was to see with the 5 airshafts. Wrong; the final section (perhaps 40%) which is devoid of airshafts, and very dark had some of the most amazing colours I’ve seen. Terrain is heavy going and some areas are flooded, but it was worth it.
A great day out. Big thanks to Infraredd for showing me his light painting box of tricks, and the wire wool spinning. :thumb

Built in 1897, and closed in 1966 was on the great central railway from London to Sheffield. The line was the single biggest closure of the Beeching axe, and the most controversial. It was built not because of gradient, but because the rich owner of the Catesby estate didn’t want a railway blighting his landscape.
27 feet wide x 25 feet high, Ventilation is provided by five shafts. Four of these are 10 feet in diameter but the northernmost - 1,250 yards from the entrance - is 15 feet wide to provide greater air flow. Plans to use it as part of HS2 have now been shelved. There are now plans to convert it to an aerodynamic testing facility.

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Terrain was not easy here; but it was worth it
IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

3rd Refuge
IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

North portal
IMG_0445.jpg

The formerly flooded north portal
IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Big thanks to Infraredd for this
IMG_0468.jpg

And finally.... Explorer dog Binky
IMG_0478.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Catesby tunnel MkII, Northants, Nov14

Nice ones mate :thumb

Some nice piccies there :)

I was gonna call in the other week but thought it was sealed tight....so much for info lol

That"s some light from that shaft, very Alien abduction :)

I"ve yet to come across an uncapped shaft yet, feel like i"m missing out now :)

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member

Some nice deposits there mate :thumb

cheers Lenston

I was gonna call in the other week but thought it was sealed tight....so much for info lol

Cheers AR
The shots of the airshafts are my favourite :)
Both nearly a minute exposure

JuJu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Nice set of shots, not even looked at mine yet. I had a cracking fist explore there. Well worth the visit as have wanted to go for ages.

toby

Armchair warrior
28DL Full Member

Fabulous pix and report. Well done Binky! erm, sorry I mean Mr Wombat.

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User

very nice
seems in very good condition too

Goonie

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Dog collar torch. Now that is awesome!!

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member

Many thanks everyone!
Special mention to pigdog who did this site with us after a nightshift with no sleep!

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member

Cracking shots there mate. Really like the first one of the shaft of light. Really must get my arse over to your neck of woods !

pigdog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

wasn't impressed with binky when she rolled in the fox shit even less impressed when i had to wash it off her but it was a good day out at least the hairy arsed twat went sleep on the way home

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member

wasn't impressed with binky when she rolled in the fox shit even less impressed when i had to wash it off her but it was a good day out at least the hairy arsed twat went sleep on the way home

It was an excellent day out; thanks for coming Pigdog :)

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
I have been informed that this place is now sealed with metal doors and anti climb paint :(
Glad I got to see it one last time, as it is a colossal place

Baron Silas Greenback

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

There's an uncapped shaft in the disused 689 yard Silverdale Tunnel (Stoke On Trent).
Still open at either end with track in situ, (last ever train ran circa 1998)