real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Westcott, Buckinghamshire - Nov 14 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Westcott, Buckinghamshire - Nov 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

1nk4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was a very short journey indeed, had the misfortune of opening a door as a copper was walking his dogs lol.

Either way the building we did check out was pretty interesting!

shouts to the copper, he woulda given us a a guided tour if it weren't for the jobs worth security gate man

_________

SDC11627.jpg

SDC11629.jpg

SDC11630.jpg

SDC11631.jpg

SDC11632.jpg

SDC11634.jpg

SDC11635.jpg

SDC11637.jpg

SDC11642.jpg

SDC11644.jpg

SDC11645.jpg

SDC11646.jpg

SDC11647.jpg

SDC11650.jpg

SDC11653.jpg

SDC11655.jpg

SDC11656.jpg

SDC11657.jpg

SDC11658.jpg

SDC11663.jpg

SDC11664.jpg

SDC11665.jpg

At least it wasn't a complete wasted journey, got to spend the day with 2 lovely ladies!

Last edited:

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Re: RAF Westcott, Buckinghamshire (Nov 14)

Some of that equipment looks right interesting, shame about your jobsworth secca.
gotta love those lights
SDC11656.jpg

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member

A report always benefits from a bit of history:

The Rocket Propulsion Establishment at Westcott, Buckinghamshire on the site of the former RAF Westcott has made a number of notable contributions in the field of rocket propulsion, including input on the rocket design for the Blue Streak missile and the propulsion systems on Chevaline. It was also known as the Guided Projectiles Establishment and PERME Westcott (Propellants, Explosives and Rocket Motor Establishment, Westcott).

For many years this establishment was regarded as so secret it was not marked on Ordnance Survey maps, although it was marked, from necessity, on maps for the use of pilots.

History

The establishment was set up in April 1946 under the Ministry of Supply. In the initial years a team of German scientists worked at the site, and examples of German weapons were onsite for study. These included the V-1 flying bomb; V-2; Feuerlilie F-55 subsonic missile; Messerschmitt Me-163B rocket-propelled interceptor; Rheintochter-1 anti-aircraft missile; Ruhrstahl X-4 air-to-air wire-controlled missile; Enzian E-1 3,150-lb missile; Henschel Hs 298 anti-aircraft missile; Hs 293 anti-shipping weapon; and Schmetterling and Wasserfall anti-aircraft missiles.

Throughout the 1950s and 60s Westcott undertook the design and development of rocket motors, and was responsible for most of the rocket motors used in British guided missiles and research vehicles. The design of these whole missile systems was undertaken by the Royal Aircraft Establishment at its facilities in Farnborough and Bedford.

In 1984 the Rocket Propulsion Establishment came under the control of the Royal Ordnance Factories, and in 1987 control passed to the private sector when British Aerospace took over Royal Ordnance.

Most of the site is now a Venture Park, for light industry

https://ubp.buckscc.gov.uk/SingleResult.aspx?uid='MBC22153'

1nk4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

yer sorry i forgot to add history, was 1am when i uploaded these! thanks though

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Another thing of note about the history of Westcott is the ground breaking research undertaken on the underground launcher for Blue Streak. The term 'Silo' was not in usage in the UK, at the time.
The remains of the 1/6th scale undeground launcher constructed at Westcott to validate the concept, can be seen in pictures on the linked threads iirc.

tigger

mog
Regular User

Another thing of note about the history of Westcott is the ground breaking research undertaken on the underground launcher for Blue Streak. The term 'Silo' was not in usage in the UK, at the time.
The remains of the 1/6th scale undeground launcher constructed at Westcott to validate the concept, can be seen in pictures on the linked threads iirc.

The remaining sections of the 1/6th scale concrete 'silo' are visible in the first photo of the linked thread. Only a few remain (and they aren't protected...but the P2 site around them in the photo is), not in their original location (which was near to the centrifugal test bed). The design was never tested in the ground, rather they were mounted in a horizontal 'U'-shape. Westcott is still a centre for cutting edge rocket motor research.

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

@Tigger
I do have a copy of "A vertical empire" in my possession, so i'm very aware of how the model Blue streak ' silo ' looked at Westcott. The book has a single period photograph of the model silo.

1nk4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Some nice bits there, gutted about the cop!

to be fair he was sound as fuck, i asked him if he'd give us a guided tour, he just asked if the gate guard had given permission, im sure if i had said yes he woulda let us walk around with him and hi killer dogs, the cop even admitted to going in the buildings, he asked to see all my photos too, it was quite nice actually lol