real time web analytics
Report - - Europe - September 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Europe - September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ThisIsMore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So i'm unsure as to where to start, usually the beginning is a good place.

Just to make you all aware, some of these images are post processed and the others are taken on film, just as a heads up.

After arranging a spontaneous jaunt to Belgium and Germany it was time to pack the bags and get the fuck off this god forsaken island.
On the arrival of J4M3S_UK and UrbanNoodle it was time to head south to the port of Dover to catch the midnight ferry.
After the 5 hour journey down and getting lost around Dover due to a stupid road diversion we finally boarded the boat.

After I spent 90 minutes being mind numbingly bored and chain smoking we were finally the other side of the water and docked in Calais, safe to say no immigrants were harmed in our exit of Calais.

It was time to make headway to Belgium, and with it being around three am it was safe to say we were all pretty damn fucked.
Around half past four we finally found a service station within 50 kilometers of our first location, we got the sleeping bags out for around two hours of broken sleep.

we all woke before the sun had risen, it was time to make way to our first location.
it was a beautiful morning in Belgium, as the sun was rising though the mist sat on top of the fields it was beautiful, but that’s besides the point, we ended up at a loss on our first locations for one reason or another, but we did not let this dishearten us, onto the fourth location after three failed attempts.

Kasteel Hogemeyer

This Chateau was in a really sorry state, stripped right back presumably going to be totally renovated, made for a couple of nice photos and that was about it.
15737246120_93c96961ab_c.jpg

Onto chateau Directeur, again nothing real special in my opinion but once again it made for some nice photos, spent around half hour grabbing some snaps then again on to the next keeping to a tight schedule.
15924565055_9ef6e5e493_c.jpg

Quick jaunt to our next location, Alla Italia, one of the reasons why i personally came on this trip in the first place, i was expecting it to be out in the sticks like most houses are in Belgium, but this place was totally different, slat bang in the middle of a busy town.

15302317994_311930c66e_c.jpg

As far as im aware alla italia is an old bath house, quote me if im wrong, but anyway this didn't make access particularly difficult, but as we wandered through and came into the main hall, the kids outside the front of the building would, we had to wait for them to clear off before we could start photographing the grand entrance hall. i shall let the photos do the talking on this part as they might do it justice.

15924555465_baf3f26587_c.jpg

View attachment 616710

After Alla Italia it was time to make our way back across Belgium towards Germany, stopping off at this little church along the way, we also made a visit to an American WW2 Memorial site, that was a truly unique experience, once again i shall let the pictures do the talking.
15185617487_b0f4ea2253_c.jpg

15738215389_29bd7c2a78_c.jpg

15924213985_7efe70ae05_c.jpg

15924219685_a103fcea4d_c.jpg

So with now being on the wrong side of Belgium it was time to make way to Recklinghausen in Germany to Stay at our friends humble abode, such a nice evening nailing it on the autobahns, we were there in good time, quick stop at the super market and we fully loaded for the standard bbq parties we have, and in good fashion we ate loads, drank plenty of beer and the receded to the sofa for a food induce coma come sleep.

Waking up again to near perfect weather, we were up early for a quick jaunt to Zeche P, you could say it’s a shit derp or what ever, really don’t care, as I still think the cage room in this place is one of the most photogenic places I have ever been to, I think I spent a good two hours just in the cage room, didn’t even bother to photograph the rest of the site.

15922216661_a552a413a3_c.jpg

15736883200_68eb369892_c.jpg

15923532572_9162f98301_c.jpg

15186375807_f33273d3c2_c.jpg

15369313391_e5a41c63ae_c.jpg

Back to our friends house and it was time to make our way back to Belgium, as it really is the heart of industrial derp.

The first stop was this cooling tower, now as far as I am concerned they’re all pretty damn similar, this one has a shed in it? Thought it would be pretty stupid to even attempt to get to the shed, weather it was done for an art project or something of the sort I guess ill never know.

15302777244_3a694d0cd3_c.jpg

Cokerie cs was next on the agenda, after a monstrous hike to get to the damn place, I was taken by its sheer volume, after visiting CWM coke its fair to say that they are all very similar, as they do exactly the same thing, none the less it was pretty fun, ended up black as arseholes as always, but I hadn’t quite got my fix yet, and it was time to settle that hunger I was craving.

15922654101_30f697a3b3_c.jpg

15185349939_c3784feca1_c.jpg

15369285181_9f70ee56fc_c.jpg

15304530233_38335be005_c.jpg

Power Plant Octoformat, was worth all the effort it took to get there, after finding our way in to the building initially we wandered round for a short while attempting to find our way up, in this dark and dingy corridor was a stair well, this lead up to light, after hiking up these stairs we came out slat bang in the middle of this ginormous turbine hall, finally I was content, I haven’t seen a power station since early 2012, so its safe to say I had waited long enough.

Night was fast aprocahing so with the minimal light we had left I grabbed as many photos as I could and in true fashion I would go as far as saying that they are all pretty diabolical, so here is the best from a bad situation.

15372507375_51aa3bc621_c.jpg

15369327571_16a6373bf4_c.jpg

It was night when we finally reached the cars, so after cleaning ourselves up and a well deserved beer it was time to head to Dunkirk to stay there for the night, but we wouldn’t be sleeping in the car or staying in a hotel.

We made our way on to the beaches of Dunkirk where once us English and germans were trying to kill each other, with an almost endless amount of beer and meat we had yet another bbq and made a bunker into our home for the evening, much metal was listened to, some French idiots interrupted our party for a short while and then finally we got as comfy as we could in the bunker and gout our heads down for the remainder of the evening.
15369255331_afd03c5464_c.jpg

The sun being a natural alarm clock woke me up. Another clear morning and once again the weather was on our side, it was time to pack up and get to the ferry port after we said goodbye to our fellow German friends.

I would like to give a massive thank you to J4M3S_UK , UrbanNoodle Pierre and Becci for making this a truly memorable trip.

Hope you all enjoy the report.

One love

ThisIsMore​

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Some decent pics there mate, looks like you had a good crack, thanks for posting :thumb

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice! Pics are ace, nice light in each shot and you've written a nicely set out and structured report. Sounds like you had some fun :thumb

Morrisey

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Pretty sobering place is Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery, spent a couple of hours there myself earlier this year.

Who has read this thread (Total: 7) View details