real time web analytics
Report - - Wolverton Railway Works, Milton Keynes (Dec 14) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wolverton Railway Works, Milton Keynes (Dec 14)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

1nk4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Visit

Visited with some new pals who had a keen interest, I know this place has been reported so many times, but as I was there I thought why not take some snaps, it's definitely changed since May.

History

Twentieth century

In 1901, Wolverton was the first railway works to use electricity for lighting and driving machinery throughout. All coaches for principal services now included corridor connections and were mounted on bogies instead of radial trucks.

During World War I, the works altered carriages to be used as ambulance trains both within the UK and overseas. Part of the works was also turned over for use by the Ministry of Munitions. In 1923, when the LNWR merged into the LMS, wagon building was introduced. From 1926 the works was supplied with electricity from Northampton Power Station.

At the outbreak of World War II, as a major manufacturing facility, the works was camouflaged, with the exterior walls still showing signs of green paint. During the war, two bombs and an incendiary fell on Wolverton town[citation needed] and another on New Bradwell village, on the other side of the track. The works itself ceased all railway-associated work, instead using its vast engineering and wood working to produce Horsa gliders for the D-Day airborne assault. It also repaired Whitley bombers, Hawker Typhoon wings and converted some seven hundred commercial motor vans into armoured vehicles.

Post-war it continued its carriage and work construction work, including making large numbers of the all-new British Railways Mark 1 carriage, until the intervention of Dr. Beeching. In 1962, the works was downgraded to a repair facility, with the last new vehicle being completed in 1963. By 1964 the workforce had dropped from 4000 to 2000, but the works had picked-up new work through the repair and maintenance of the British Rail Class 304 Electric Multiple Units.

Although no new general service carriages were built, twenty four vehicles were built in 1977 for the Royal Mail, and twenty one diesel multiple units for the Northern Ireland Railways. In February 1986 British Rail Engineering Limited split into two new groups, with Wolverton becoming part of the new BR Maintenance Group, which again reduced staff to 850

21st century

The carriage maintenance works has consolidated its operations in the western end of the site. (As of 31 July 2013 the operators, Railcare, have entered administration, with immediate redundancy for many of the 225 workforce.) On 27 August, Knorr-Bremse purchased Railcare, both the sites in Glasgow and Wolverton. The company has been renamed KnorrBremse RailServices (UK) Limited.

The Pics

DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0013.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

DSCN0014.jpg

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0079.jpg

DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0131.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

DSCN0123.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Nice to see this place still being done, albeit it is an absolute death trap. Heard Rumours it is being demolished any day now? What was the roof like inside? when I last visited, everytime there was a stiff breeze I feared for my life!