real time web analytics
Report - - Hickson and Welch - Castleford December 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hickson and Welch - Castleford December 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:
Located on a 175 acre site in Castleford, England, Hickson & Welch was an organic fine chemicals producer and contract manufacturer focused on agrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, pigments, explosives and detergents. During the 90's a huge explosion killed 5 workers and this contributed to the eventual demise of the site. The works were sold in 2003 to a Private equity company who promised to keep the plant open and assured unions there would be no job losses. As soon as the contract was signed they sacked all 300 employees, asset stripped the company and sold the site to a developer. The wheldon lane area is planned to be renovated in the next few years including the old Nestle site over the road a number of up to 1000 house's is rumored to be built.

My visit:
Decided to head down here as its only a ten minute walk from my house. Entrance was surprisingly easy and after a hour or so climbing up and down catwalks and ducking in and out of buildings we finally caught a glimpse of secca coming towards us in a 4x4! after jumping for cover behind some barrels we held our breath as he slowly rolled past us, the moment seemed like a lifetime! after this we decided it was time to leave and legged it :D Not much remains at this site a few buildings with offices and some old pipes, unsure as to what the live site that seemed to be directly next to it is but it made for a few nice pics. also popped into the old nestle building over the road and snapped a pic off the roof of my hometown.

15976488172_bffafb9b69_z.jpg

15357527573_bdbd0c5514_z.jpg

15791414047_9824bfac84_z.jpg

15976476342_2a6b27ae57_z.jpg

15976473492_ecf447f4b4_z.jpg

15354868134_ce24913c92_z.jpg

15791402787_12a7583e89_z.jpg

view from office block at Nestle over the road:
15976482282_7079a18f8e_z.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After working alongside this place years ago down at Bulholme Lock All hell broke loose with Sirens, Alarms Fire Engines etc etc and blokes in protective gear running away from the area i was, it sort of put me off ever visiting the place :)

Always had a rep" of a ticking time bomb.

Ironically within a month the terrible incident happened with loss of life :(

Nice shots though mate :thumb

Not much going on in Nestle then ? the seccas always been busy when i"ve looked bless him :)

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After working alongside this place years ago down at Bulholme Lock All hell broke loose with Sirens, Alarms Fire Engines etc etc and blokes in protective gear running away from the area i was, it sort of put me off ever visiting the place :)

Always had a rep" of a ticking time bomb.

Ironically within a month the terrible incident happened with loss of life :(

Nice shots though mate :thumb

Not much going on in Nestle then ? the seccas always been busy when i"ve looked bless him :)

there was some areas that stunk of chemicals, especially the building with "toxic gas refuge" on the door! and demo work is taking place at nestle alot of the back part has been knocked down but there is a couple nice bits hidden away, the roof makes it worth a visit though mate seems like the tallest building in the area when your up there!

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
I'm more interested in Nestle opposite! Have you got round much of that?

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm more interested in Nestle opposite! Have you got round much of that?

Just rushed to the roof didn't take any inside mate but will take a trip down to get some before it gets knocked down :) it's all stripped of the machines just empty rooms but there's a few rooms with some cool bits.

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details