real time web analytics
Report - - Victoria Arches _ Manchester Dec 14 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Victoria Arches _ Manchester Dec 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
Victoria Arches - Manchester

In the 3 or so years I've been pratting about with my camera, I've had a couple of invites to what many consider
'the holy grail' of Manchester exploration, but despite walking past, over and around the arches on a daily basis I'd
never ventured inside. An invite from Ojay however, was not one I was going to turn down.

Excuses made for an early dart from work, and bag packed, I set off to meet up with Nickindroy, Snakeoil, ViralEye,
Kenny and our guides for the evening Ninjaboy and of course Ojay.

1-WP_20141209_001_zps489ccf9b.jpg

History

The Victoria Arches are a series of bricked-up arches built in an embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester.
They served as business premises, landing stages for Steam packet riverboats
and as Second World War air-raid shelters. They were accessed from wooden staircases that descended from Victoria Street.

1-imagesHHRUQZI4_zps9798ae10.jpg
1-imagesN078ZB9Y_zps42055c6c.jpg

Regular flooding resulted in the closure of the steam-packet services in the early 20th century, the arches were later used for general storage.
Following the outbreak of the Second World War they were converted into air raid shelters. They are now bricked up and inaccessible,
the staircases having been removed in the latter part of the 20th century.

Photos

1-nick2_zpsf32f47a2.jpg
1-archcopy_zps425cae19.jpg

I spent so much time just wandering about that I almost forgot to take any photo's, these are screen grabs from the No-Pro camera
[R] Ojay, Ninjaboy and Viraleye discuss the merits of the arches construction

1-1-DSC_1577_zps0844a2a6.jpg

With so much free space to wander about in, it would be rude not to get a few shameless selfies..here's the first

1-1-DSC_1546_zpsf85e848c.jpg

And possibly the most documented toilets in 28dl history, not sure whether Paul Powers had left any 'presents' for fellow explorers ?

1-nick1_zps56c5b0fe.jpg
1-door_zps4b254e18.jpg

1-1-DSC_1568_zps5fc0ab30.jpg

Looking towards the a bricked off section back up towards street level

1-1-DSC_1553_zps1f82f36f.jpg

A few of the units were strewn with rubble, and remnants from construction work, but I was amazed to find so little damage,
presumably as the place is now pretty much inaccessible to all but a few brave explorers

1-1-DSC_1561_zpsa9c88494.jpg
1-1-DSC_1539_zps9290c9ad.jpg

Doors, steps and luminous graffiti and [R] blue lighting courtesy of Nickindroy...other colours of lighting are available

1-1-DSC_1554_zpsdea87833.jpg

On the inside looking out towards the fountain steps, care was required as I almost took a swim in the Irwell

1-strobe_zps23d062c2.jpg
1-pigeon_zpse3b52c57.jpg

1-1-DSC_1576_zpsa33e574a.jpg

Looking down from the Cathedral steps, as just a few feet behind me, people went about their evenings business

1-1-DSC_1550_zps05df0756.jpg

Hanging around ladies toilets at 10 o'clock at night with a camera....what's the worst that could happen ?

An amazing explore, with massive thanks to Ojay and Ninjaboy for sorting the logistics. Those Kronies are still untouched btw :thumb

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
jealous jealous jealous thats all i can say. Awesome pics of what looks like an amazing place ..

Tom Sherman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sweet m8 for getting in and great pics :-) I'm gutted I cudnt make it, I won't miss anther chance.

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
Sweet m8 for getting in and great pics :-) I'm gutted I cudnt make it, I won't miss anther chance.
ha ha I'm sure your won't.
My pics are shite pal, you spend all your time wandering aimlessly about thinking..I've seen that on 28dl, oh look there's the toilets, wow look at those doors...all the time forgetting to actually take any photos :) got a nice little tour from Ojay and Ninjaboy though to get our bearings first.

Last edited:

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
A bit more blue for Nick...These are the cathedral steps, possibly the most important aspect of the Arches

1-DSC_1574_zps660186d0.jpg

Lavino

28DL Full Member
That a great looking place to explore looks like you guys had a good time there..