real time web analytics
Report - - Tunnel Boring Machine, Poland, 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tunnel Boring Machine, Poland, 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kevin arnold

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
I always wanted to get inside one of those machines. Up until recently there were 8 of them in London, digging Crossrail tunnels but I never had a chance to take a closer look at any of them and now they're gone.

The obvious problem with TBMs is that once they're underground they work pretty much 24/7 and when they're operational there are always some workers around.

With this one I was quite lucky. I explored it just after it had finished digging but before they started to dismantle it. The window of opportunity lasted for about a week during which I'd sneak onto the site night after night until finally there were no workers present (or so I thought).

1_zpsf72f5342.jpg

By the way, the machine's name was Damroka and she was huge. Crossrails machines are 7.1 m in diameter, Damroka was more than 12 m, one of the largest ones in Europe (although at 91m length she was shorter than the Crossrail ones).

5_zps5ebd8cd8.jpg

Damroka was in Gdansk to dig a road tunnel under the river. Here's more about it (in Polish but lots of really interesting footage + links to more materials):

Road tunnel is twin bore but they only used one TBM. What you can see above is the finished bore. Upon finishing that one the machine was dismantled and put together again to drill the second bore, which as I mentioned had been finished a few days earlier.

The whole site was brightly lit so I was quite nervous approaching the machine. I started circling around looking for a way to get closer to the shield and hoping there would be some way in.

6_zpsb6e313ed.jpg

7_zpsb0562ccb.jpg

8_zps88991df8.jpg

There was!

Under the shield there is this sort of ante chamber with steps and ladders going along the circumference of the machine.

10_zpsa4e10025.jpg

Close to the top part of the machine there were two of those entry chambers each with a couple of airtight doors. I took a few snaps listening if there were any workers inside.

14_zps85a058c2.jpg

11_zps1190ecb1.jpg

15_zpsfffb65d3.jpg

13_zpsc5929ca3.jpg

All quiet so I got in.

16_zpsf82d390e.jpg

It was awesome, like being inside of a dirty, grimy submarine.

18_zps979da7b1.jpg

At this point I will just post the rest of the pictures and give you a link to a cool clip that explains how a TBM works much better than I ever could. I'm won't pretend I know names of all those bits of machinery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z38JIqGDZVU

IMG_2684_zpsf2189efa.jpg

IMG_2686_zps0b3c8fbe.jpg

IMG_2690_zpsfb4dc84e.jpg

IMG_2691_zpsddf6f745.jpg

IMG_2689_zps3e7a40da.jpg

IMG_2687_zps0dd1298c.jpg

IMG_2685_zps7b56980a.jpg

IMG_2694_zpsfff6f605.jpg

^ Underneath the machine. At this point I started hearing workers voices down the tunnel. I had explored about 1/2 - 2/3 of the length of the machine, so decided it was best not to push my luck, especially that there was no quick way out. I packed my gear and sneaked out quietly.

All in all a great explore, hope you enjoyed the report. I know the interior pics aren't of the best quality but that's all I could do under the circumstances :D

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I like your description of it "like being inside of a dirty, grimy submarine", I was thinking the same myself. Like a decompression chamber I thought. Good explore, you're not afraid of anything are you?

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Absolutely loved seeing this report mate, that thing is monstrous and amazing! :thumb

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Bloody hell kev,some would kill just to get in the tunels and see the machne,but you really have raised the bar getting inside :thumb

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Amazing, it's great to see inside one.
I'd love to know what Brunel would make of one of these if he was alive.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
This is awesome. You've managed to cover the place really well by the look of things, and you got some real good shots too.

ne_viens

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Astonishing shots - even with the photos it is hard to grasp the real size of it. The cables reminds of the ship from Matrix.

trailboss99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate, those things are an incredible piece of machinery and you are so lucky to get in and out undetected.