real time web analytics
General - - Cane Hill and Severalls | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Cane Hill and Severalls

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
All right, deep breaths then. One: Does anybody know when they will start to redevelop Cane Hill? Two: Severalls. Anybody know when anything happens to that place as I am going to visit what's left of The Hill and for Severalls, I heard that the planned demolition was earlier this year.....Anyone know anything at all? - HJ

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
Severalls is never going, Cane hill has some stuff left.

How come the sudden change of mind towards Sevs now? I know Cane Hill still has: The tower, partial admin building, secure unit and cottage hospital but that's about it...Definitely :banghead :mad for not knowing about The Hill until it was too late :(

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How come the sudden change of mind towards Sevs now? I know Cane Hill still has: The tower, partial admin building, secure unit and cottage hospital but that's about it...Definitely :banghead :mad for not knowing about The Hill until it was too late :(

Severalls just seems to dodge the bulldoser, It'll be there in 5 years time I reckon. Always a bit of fun visiting Sevs despite how trashed it is.

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
Severalls just seems to dodge the bulldoser, It'll be there in 5 years time I reckon. Always a bit of fun visiting Sevs despite how trashed it is.

Then again, it's one of those ''facility of buildings'' that is probably one of the last great examples of an asylum here in 2015 - all others are gone or are unrecognisable

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Id certainly say Sevs is the best derelict example left. Just go there. No one will know when its going until the digger is actually munching through it.

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
Id certainly say Sevs is the best derelict example left. Just go there. No one will know when its going until the digger is actually munching through it.

Oh, I'm definetley going there - just hope to not get busted by Michael or anyone though

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I think there was about 3 or 4 farewell Severalls meets and ironically its outlived most of the others left.

Cane Hill - there is something starting to happen. When we visited before Christmas we noticed there was a planning application on the Portnalls Road footpath stating they were to build a small marketing suite and car park. Since then they've been doing some stuff down by the cottage/secure unit so it looks like something will begin to happen this year.

However I'd say it'll take them 12 months to sort out the mess that Squibbs left, there is still a lot of the service tunnels evident and the ground is hardly flattened to a decent quality. I actually think they'll probably have to dig it all up again. Fully expecting them to find an excuse to flatten the rest of admin somehow. Either citing its too far gone or structurally unsafe.

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
I think there was about 3 or 4 farewell Severalls meets and ironically its outlived most of the others left.

Cane Hill - there is something starting to happen. When we visited before Christmas we noticed there was a planning application on the Portnalls Road footpath stating they were to build a small marketing suite and car park. Since then they've been doing some stuff down by the cottage/secure unit so it looks like something will begin to happen this year.

However I'd say it'll take them 12 months to sort out the mess that Squibbs left, there is still a lot of the service tunnels evident and the ground is hardly flattened to a decent quality. I actually think they'll probably have to dig it all up again. Fully expecting them to find an excuse to flatten the rest of admin somehow. Either citing its too far gone or structurally unsafe.

Or they can try and restore the admin because it's listed so they can't pull it down

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Or they can try and restore the admin because it's listed so they can't pull it down

It's only locally listed, that can be easily withdrawn (Denbigh for example had several parts listed including the hall which were removed). Several members on here & elsewhere fought hard to get the whole site listed to no avail - they cited that the design of it (Radial Pavilion) was unique but EH said not so and cited that better examples existed in Exminster (Actually, just a Raidial design) and Whittingham. Since that ruling they've then gone and knocked down Whittingham to completely make an arse of their ruling. However CH was pretty wreaked after 18/19 years being empty (some wards were closed in the 60's so in some instances 40 years of decay)

If they want to get rid of admin they will.. it'll mysteriously self combust in the damp/wet basement again if need be.

Heroic J

All for one
28DL Full Member
It's only locally listed, that can be easily withdrawn (Denbigh for example had several parts listed including the hall which were removed). Several members on here & elsewhere fought hard to get the whole site listed to no avail - they cited that the design of it (Radial Pavilion) was unique but EH said not so and cited that better examples existed in Exminster (Actually, just a Raidial design) and Whittingham. Since that ruling they've then gone and knocked down Whittingham to completely make an arse of their ruling. However CH was pretty wreaked after 18/19 years being empty (some wards were closed in the 60's so in some instances 40 years of decay)

If they want to get rid of admin they will.. it'll mysteriously self combust in the damp/wet basement again if need be.
Does anyone know how these derelict buildings can just mysteriously spontaneously combust? And if I knew about the place when it was still here, I would get everyone I could to help get it listed...But I was 6 or 7 when they tried to list them and I never knew about these places..Shame, now I will NEVER see that famous clocktower :(:mad :banghead