real time web analytics
Report - - Salisbury Plain Training Area, Wiltshire - December 2014 - PART 2 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Salisbury Plain Training Area, Wiltshire - December 2014 - PART 2

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Before visiting Salisbury Plain, you need to be familiar with all local bylaws and regulations.

01_zpsf4c54baa.jpg

Got all that? Understood? Good let’s carry on

Not sure why there’s a train graveyard on Salisbury Plain and unable to determine any meaningful history. Almost certainly an artificial created training environment. But what I do know is that over a million men trained on Salisbury Plain during World War 1. The need to transport large numbers of men to the coast for disembarkation to the battlegrounds meant that a military railway was built from Amesbury station to Larkhill and other camps on Salisbury Plain. Known as the Larkhill Military Light Railway (LMLR), it was wound down in stages during the 1920s until final closure in 1928. A water tower for the military railway can still be seen at Druid’s Lodge on the A360 road south from Stonehenge to Salisbury. The building next to the water tower is allegedly an old engine shed. From experience I know that the tower is doable for climbing but stealth is needed as it’s in someone’s garden. This is all irrelevant anyways as the train graveyard I’m reporting on is in a completely different part of the Plain.

The first batch of soldiers to be trained on the plain during WW1 was the Canadian Expeditionary Force. A big event just after their arrival was that the entire division was inspected by the King on Nov 4th 1914. This picture gives us a sense of the scale of 30000 men.

untitled_zps76d4f7be.png

How times have changed. This is the A303 at Stonehenge which is now a perpetual traffic jam and those men are probably marching faster than the speed I drive past Stonehenge. Be assured that Stonehenge is no longer held up with planks of wood.

soldiers-at-stonehenge_zpsa58ca4a8.jpg

Anyways, the photos:

15_zps1ca60bbf.jpg

18_zps0feccc12.jpg

19_zpsdffafa86.jpg

20_zpsa4610fa3.jpg

24_zps276cc36d.jpg

25_zps548eedbc.jpg

27_zps5d612132.jpg

The Westland Lynx is a British multi-purpose military helicopter designed and built by Westland Helicopters at its factory in Yeovil. Originally intended as a utility craft for both civil and naval usage, military interest led to the development of both battlefield and naval variants. The Lynx went into operational usage in 1977 and was later adopted by the armed forces of over a dozen nations.

The Lynx has the distinction of being the world's first fully aerobatic helicopter, capable of performing loops and rolls, and of attaining high speeds. In 1986, a specially modified Lynx set the current Fédération Aéronautique Internationale's official airspeed record for helicopters at 249 mph. As of 2014, this record remains unbroken.

In service date: 1978
Maximum all up mass: 4875kg (Mk 7), 5330 kg (Mk 9A)
Engines: 2 x Rolls Royce GEM (Mk 7), 2 x T800 (Mk 9A)
Crew: 2 (3 with Crewman) + 6 troops
Length: 50ft 1inch
Main rotor diameter: 42ft
Height: 12ft 5inches
Maximum speed: 160knots
Range: 280NM
Armament: 7.62mm general purpose machine gun or M3M 12.7mm machine gun

03_zps80d1035b.jpg

06_zpsef76313a.jpg

08_zpsfb83eead.jpg

14_zps4e7c7f75.jpg

13_zps41a71c4b.jpg

11_zpsf239c6dc.jpg

Funny face at the back... or is it only me that sees it
07_zps095a916b.jpg

Security were excessively rough with us and really there was no need for them to deploy these against us.

34_zpsd300cb82.jpg

Thanks for looking.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Sorry mate, I couldn't quite read the bottom of that sign there, did it touch the floor? :eek: :laugh

Looks interesting, I bet it was good venturing around all that gear!

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Loco is Ruston Hornsby 0-6-0DH - 466621 - Ex MOD Coplow Down

The Westland Lynx is a British multi-purpose military helicopter designed and built by Westland Helicopters at its factory in Yeovil. Originally intended as a utility craft for both civil and naval usage, military interest led to the development of both battlefield and naval variants. The Lynx went into operational usage in 1977 and was later adopted by the armed forces of over a dozen nations.

The Lynx has the distinction of being the world's first fully aerobatic helicopter, capable of performing loops and rolls, and of attaining high speeds. In 1986, a specially modified Lynx set the current Fédération Aéronautique Internationale's official airspeed record for helicopters at 249 mph. As of 2014, this record remains unbroken.

In service date: 1978
Maximum all up mass: 4875kg (Mk 7), 5330 kg (Mk 9A)
Engines: 2 x Rolls Royce GEM (Mk 7), 2 x T800 (Mk 9A)
Crew: 2 (3 with Crewman) + 6 troops
Length: 50ft 1inch
Main rotor diameter: 42ft
Height: 12ft 5inches
Maximum speed: 160knots
Range: 280NM
Armament: 7.62mm general purpose machine gun or M3M 12.7mm machine gun

Airframe is that of Lynx AH7 XZ203 - The Lynx AH.7 could also be outfitted for the anti-armour role, with the attachment of 2 pylons, each carrying four, BGM-71 TOW, anti-tank guided missiles. Now replaced in front line service by the Apache AH1 armed with a 30mm Chain Gun & Hellfire Missles (AH = Attack Helicopter)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
A water tower for the military railway can still be seen at Druid’s Lodge on the A360 road south from Stonehenge to Salisbury.

It's not, that's the water tower for RFC Airfield Lake Down.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
"Loco is Ruston Hornsby 0-6-0DH - 466621 - Ex MOD Coplow Down"

Thanks Ordnance for identifying the loco for me and I have given you a thumbs up as I genuinely wanted that info, but the Coplow Down is confusing me as I can't find any reference anywhere (online or in books) that such a place exists. I think I have found online your source for identifying the loco and I see there that it says Coplow Down. I suspect it's a mistake and meant to have said Copehill Down which is where these photos were taken.

As for the water tower, I have references saying that the Larkhill Miltary Railway had a terminus at Druid's Lodge and I also have references saying that the water tower is for RFC Lake Down and that the railway never got to here. So now I'm confused but there's slightly more evidence saying its not part of the railway. It's amazing how little info there is out there regarding this railway. Think I need to get out on the ground and have a look around.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
You are right Bertie, as this loco has 'Royal Corps of Transport' Badge and 'working no' 430 it would have worked at an Army Depot and not an ROF, but so far unable to find any history.

TallRich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm not sure if it will help in the search for the history of this loco, but i managed to snap this picture, that it looks like you may have missed!

kkselE3.jpg

Hope it helps!

TallRich

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Well that muddles the waters.. as Rushton had it's factory in Lincoln and that clearly says Darlington. Google search Ruston Hornsby 0-6-0DH and the returned images definitely look like the one on Copehill Down. Was this pic from the loco or one of the carriages? Is this plate actually an ID plate for an locomotive engine or just one of the parts.

It's really the World War One era Larkhill Miltary Railway that I can't get any info for. It seems to have completely disappeared off the face of the Earth, and there's conflicting info out there from various sources as to where the tracks ran to never alone the finer details. As I said, a look on the ground is needed, and I'm close enough to do that one day.

caiman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The location is definitely Copehill Down; indeed it says so on one of the pics. The Darlington plate is presumably on one of the wagons.