real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Sculthorpe Control Tower, Norfolk, Jan 4th 2015 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Sculthorpe Control Tower, Norfolk, Jan 4th 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

man_gone_wrong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was our second explore on a ridiculously cold Sunday. Have been past this airbase many times over the years but never really explored it, things always got in the way. We had heard there is a new fence going up around the access points to the airfield so it needed to be explored asap. After navigating the vast amounts of cow shite everywhere and the electrified fences (of which the first one got me :rolleyes:) we got to the control tower

Once we got inside we realised there was nothing in here, the place was a mess, rubbish all over the place. Lots of bullet casings scattered in every room as well as shooting targets, one of which scared the crap out of me as I walked into a room and it was hanging on the wall haha

Was pretty gutted to find out there was nothing in here, thought there would be the control board like the one at West Raynham. While we were on the top of the control tower we noticed an American Fire Truck next to some buildings, couldnt help but have a cheeky look around it :D

History

RAF Sculthorpe is a military training facility for the United Kingdom's Ministry of Defence, situated about 3 mi (4.8 km) west of Fakenham in Norfolk, England. The airfield has been home to many visiting airmen and support crews of the RAF and United States Air Force. Whilst retaining the airfield in 1997 the Ministry of Defence sold the entire technical, domestic and administrative site including the married quarter site previously occupied by the USAF to The Welbeck Estate Group

The airfield became inactive at the end of the Cold War. During the mid 1990s the entire technical and domestic site was sold to The Welbeck Estate Group by Defence Estates. The domestic married quarter site comprised a sizeable number of single storey 'tobacco houses' The housing estate was renamed 'Wicken Village' and following refurbishment the houses were sold. The remaining technical site including single personnel barrack blocks, PX, church, guardroom, gymnasium, community centres and extensive storage and industrial units were sold to a single purchaser and there is now a fledgling industrial park. The Welbeck Estate Group went on to acquire the nearby technical and married quarter estate at RAF West Raynham which formed just part of 36 ex military estate acquired from Defence Estates.

The airstrip area remains in military hands, officially as an army helicopter training area, and there are exercises about twice a year. Demolition work on the hangars began in March 2009.

The airfield is used most nights by the 352nd Special Operations Group, from RAF Mildenhall. They are there with MC-130P and MC-130J Hercules aircraft, along with CV-22 Osprey Tilt Rotors. They practice dropping of paratroops and packages amongst other special tasks.

The only buildings that remain are: The Control Tower, The Fire Station buildings (Next to the Control Tower) & a small half moon concrete shelter (Now used by a herdsman for machinery & equipment storage - There are up to 2000 cows on the grass areas)

DSC_0264_zpse8822f0d.jpg

DSC_0280_zps8125514c.jpg

DSC_0270_zpse0fbb301.jpg

DSC_0288_zps336e71d0.jpg

DSC_0283_zpsf6792a51.jpg

DSC_0297_zps1f249722.jpg

DSC_0314_zps887dc840.jpg

DSC_0250_zpsa4fff25a.jpg

DSC_0317_zpscc3e0249.jpg

DSC_0331_zpsdff4dd7c.jpg

DSC_0343_zps063ea444.jpg

DSC_0345_zpsc0b38817.jpg

DSC_0340_zpsb8171a60.jpg

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I can understand your reaction to those targets! We were exploring the Caerwent cordite factory and entered a dark building, only to trip over what seemed to be a couple of dead bodies. They fortunately were very accurate (and pliable) dummies but in the gloom, we nearly had a heart attack!

man_gone_wrong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I can understand your reaction to those targets! We were exploring the Caerwent cordite factory and entered a dark building, only to trip over what seemed to be a couple of dead bodies. They fortunately were very accurate (and pliable) dummies but in the gloom, we nearly had a heart attack!

Haha clean pants time for you then :D

We went to Little Plumstead and one of the guys we was with had set something up so it looked like there was a dead person on the floor. He didnt tell us though, scared the shite out of me lol