real time web analytics
Report - - Abbeydale Picture House, sheffield june 2014 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abbeydale Picture House, sheffield june 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mattdonut

Like and subscribe
28DL Full Member

Abbeydale Picture House (later Abbeydale Cinema) is a former cinema in the City of Sheffield, England. When opened by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield on 20 December 1920 the picture house was the largest and most luxurious cinema in Sheffield, often referred to as the "Picture Palace" because of the luxurious cream and gold color scheme, and dark mahogany seats trimmed with green velvet. The picture house also boasted many intricate decorations and carvings, a mosaic floor in the foyer and a glass canopy with a marble pillar to the outside of the building.

The cinema closed on 5 July 1975 and was subsequently used as an office furniture showroom until 1991. In 1989 the building was given a Grade II listing by English Heritage being a good example of an early 1920s mid-sized suburban cinema with both cinema and theater facilities. In 1991 the sprung floor in the ballroom was removed, and local businesses "Abbey Snooker" and "Bar Abbey" occupied the site.

On 30 October 2012 the picture house was sold at auction to Phil Robins, for £150,000 with the intention to renovate the building and bring it back into public use

14344699632_57427c9c51_z.jpg

14323159716_a062e0aa5e_z.jpg

14323164486_2b3e1f6ce9_z.jpg

14159646468_735279f35f_z.jpg

14159641479_679498ee34_z.jpg

14159647958_e347b0db9f_z.jpg

14342967701_d1ae2af8f9_z.jpg

its was worth a look if your nearby

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely romantic place,your shots capture it perfectly. Now on my to do list....

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Short & sweet Matt :)

After this new Climbing Centre had been posted a few times last year, it got done over big time by whoever ? and lots of climbing gear etc stolen. The Police traced *********** through his reports and asked him to remove his posts concerning this place to stop further possible theft.

Obviously the Police were not blaming any Urbexers but since then the Police have called with a Warrant to check for stolen goods from here. And obviously nothing was found as he"s not a thief but as a courtesy he left his reports off here & his own website.

Just thought i"d mention it :)

Hopefully they have actually secured the place now, and/or don"t leave piles of Climbing gear laid about anymore ;)

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Humm, when we went the access that people had eluded to appeared to be in their smoking area (full of smokers!) and the club was open for business. This was in early October i reckon, i wondered if it had just reopened or if everyone else had just gone on a night it was closed..

rich_b1982

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Doesn't it have a club open in it now or was that always there?

Every now & again they open the ex cinema part up for events & gigs. It's quite a restictive license, so they only do it a couple of times a year, if that. There is a bar recently opened up in the basement below as well.

miriam

28DL Member
28DL Member
It has been rented and is now occupied. They are clearing it out and doing it up gradually, I think they do events and there is some shared office space. It isn't an empty/abandoned building any more.