real time web analytics
Report - - The Red Lion, Handsworth Birmingham 2014 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Red Lion, Handsworth Birmingham 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
CLOSED FOR SOME TIME. Built in 1901, it retains a spectacular interior including floor–to-ceiling tiles in passages, ornate bar fittings, four tiled paintings, and panelled ‘coffee room’. There was a pub on this site in 1829. It was bought up by Holt's Brewery in 1893 and rebuilt eight years later to the designs of James & Lister Lea. This magnificent pub was threatened with demolition in the 1980s to make way for road improvements, but fortunately survived and is still with us. The extravagant exterior is in two shades of terracotta. The interior consists of a superb tiled hall and staircase on the right; a fabulous public bar stretches across the full width of the frontage; a tiled passage on the left leading to the Smoke Room; and a little used Coffee Room.

The narrow public bar retains its original bar counter and a magnificent bar back of mahogany and gilded, painted and etched mirrors featuring Holt Brewery lettering and squirrel motifs, which was incorporated into Ansells symbol when they took over Holt Brewery in 1934. The original bench seating along the window side remains and above timbered dados are superb cream, green, blue and gold wall tiles by Minton. On the left side of the pub the passage to the smoke room is particularly fine and has a colourful quarry tiled floor with a disused off sales hatch to the bar.

The door to the Smoke Room has a good panel of etched and gilded glass and inside are large framed lithographs - 3 on the left hand side wall, one either side of the fire and another near the hatch to back of the servery. This little used room retains its original fixed bench seating (in need of repair), with service bells, stained and leaded windows and old gas lamp fitting but it has lost its fireplace. On the right is a superb staircase hall, beautifully tiled throughout mainly in cream and turquoise and is lit by stained glass windows. Upstairs function room with etched windows?

On the rear right hand side the Coffee Room (again little used) has dark wood panelling all around the walls and framed engravings of paintings 'The Village Wedding', 'Shamrock' (dogs), 'Rannoch Moor', 'Thistle' (more dogs), 'The Mountain Pool' (Bison) - 9 in total, and service bells. There is a tiled and wood surround fireplace with bevelled mirror in the wood surround, original fixed bench seating, 'Coffee Room' in frosted and etched window in the door and a hatch to back of the servery.

Despite being Grade II-star listed, the pub has suffered from a lack of maintenance and care for many years; it closed in 2008 and is considered 'at risk'. Latest information is that it is likely to reopen as a restaurant, not a pub.

One of the great James Lister-Lea "tiled palaces" of Birmingham.

This took some social engineering... so not strictly an explore but not a permission visit either. The pub has been closed for a number of years and fears were growing that the pubs incredible interior may have been lost. I was reasonably surprised to find that the bar and coffee room were in fact largely intact. I'll let Michael Slaughter of CAMRA do the description but let me say the interior is out of this world.

If this pub was in London, Town or the Jewellery Quarter it would be a treasure and a viable business, in the wilds of the Soho Road who can say what will become of it...

Just crappy compact pics I'm afraid...
P8041785_zpsfead6d40.jpg
P8041784_zps8c9b93a5.jpg

P8041786_zps2c9f4c79.jpg

P8041792_zps4c8308a0.jpg
P8041797_zps2040848e.jpg

P8041794_zpsc92b8716.jpg

P8041795_zps68003f4b.jpg

P8041798_zpsa9762284.jpg

P8041802_zps2d77b394.jpg
P8041804_zpsbfb7dd7a.jpg

P8041751_zps209b34b1.jpg
P8041760_zpsd52b0850.jpg

P8041752_zps82c80d33.jpg

P8041761_zpsd5bf39e3.jpg
P8041759_zpsbf4730eb.jpg

P8041772_zps6bbc9c1e.jpg

P8041770_zpsa372fa56.jpg
P8041780_zpse9d3b804.jpg

P8041781_zps08e4ca89.jpg

P8041782_zps9cb2c788.jpg

professor frink

Reppin Bumbaclaat
28DL Full Member
When I saw the title Red Lion I thought it would be a crappy piked up old derpy pub.

But saw it was by the Dweebster and thought it must be worth a look, the place sure is pretty :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I love this, so much to see here, hopefully the restaurant is sympathetic when renovating it. cheers for sharing it!

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Aye you can never say pub explores are shit. There must be more. (other then the Waterloo!)

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I don't know of any more in Brum that we haven't been in either to explore or to drink in, other than the Britannia in Aston, but I'm pretty sure that will be full of some kind of plant ;)