real time web analytics
Report - - Sidedraught Induction, Manchester - January 2015 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sidedraught Induction, Manchester - January 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
Sidedraught Induction, Manchester

January 2015 - Explored with Ojay, ViralEye, Nickindroy and Squirrell911

This was the final section of culvert on my to do list before ticking off Gore Brook as 'all done'. After a comedy entry under the grille that guards the infall the RCP soon gives way to a brick arch with a central channel providing a dry path on each side of the water. As the floor levels out the drain splits into two smaller arches at what looks like Gortons underground branch of Toys R Us. Taking the right hand side leads us to a manhole chamber off to the side and several very wet leaky shafts in the roof of the arch before the two tunnels rejoin back into a single large arch section.

Soon we arrive at the best bit, a massive two level CSO chamber beyond a short RCP off to the side. On the top level built above the main sewer are two rusty control wheels for the massive iron penstocks below for controlling the flow of Manchesters finest fresh soup. Ojay and Squirrell kindly clambered down to open the rag infested hatch so the more unfit among us (yes, me!) could get down below into the river of shit.

Back into the main culvert again bring us to the final section towards the outfall, the floor littered with big holes that many people before us have taken a tumble down, thankfully nobody fell in this time.

A few construction photos from 1914...

sidedraught1914.jpg

Sidedraughtt1914.jpg

...and this is how it looks 101 years later......

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice mate looks like a good mooch :) sure i saw a video of someone falling off that slide recently!

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Good laugh this, everyone in high spirits, I'm sure getting in will be a contributory factor in my eventual hernia. Charles Atlas exit and you did it proud with your pics mate. :thumb

Last edited:

Mr Sam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
not really a drain0r but can appreciate the varying ages of structure to this along with the kiddies slide :D however when i read "side draught induction" i was thinking something more along the lines of...

15724634355_8965b00ee0_c.jpg

trailboss99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A modern Cosworth with carbs and no hair dryer? That's one hell of a strange setup right there.

I wonder how the hell those holes developed and why they haven't been repaired, can't be doing the structural integrity of the drain any good.

siologen

I Go Where The Drains Are
Regular User
Its called 'Sidedraught Induction' because its intake is from the side and the drain downstream if it is called 'Supercharger'. My LJ Torana used to run triple sidedraught Stromberg carbs. Thats why i named the drain so ;)

Admittedly tho, superchargers are usually fed by downdraught carbies...

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
SJW with the engine chat, this thread needs more induction

Siologen doesn't like my Siemese twins and rod setup ;)

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
All good fun

[video=youtube;uHuz_esVpGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHuz_esVpGY[/video]​