real time web analytics
Report - - St Josephs Orphanage/Hospital- Feb 15 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Josephs Orphanage/Hospital- Feb 15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Inky

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This ones been 'on the list' for ages so it was about time to get off my arse and get it done. Headed there a couple of weeks back to check it out but it was mega busy so i left it for the time being and waited it out. Got back there last week early hours Sunday morning and met up with urblex (cheers for showing me about) and it didn't disappoint, had a good 3 hours in there until we heard someone else on another floor and decided to bail. Sadly couldnt get into the nursing side although we did try! Its definitely had some traffic through there though even the chapel is looking haggard now, cant help but think we're not doing them any favours showing pics of whats inside , i can see why people are starting to keep their finds quiet for a while. The place closed in the 80s according to what i've read, but the change from 2010 reports to now seem more dramatic than the years previous, its a shame to say the least. Anyway i enjoyed the mooch and its still worth seeing, here are the pics :thumb

Bit of History for anyone interested:
St Joseph’s Orphanage was opened in 1872 on the site of an ancient alms house, and St Joseph’s Hospital for the Sick Poor followed five years later.

They were built by wealthy widow Maria Holland, who gave £10,000 at a time when Preston had one of the worst mortality rates in the country, due to poor housing and low-paid mill workers. St Joseph’s Orphanage cared for 971 children before it closed in 1954.

Run by the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of Mercy, the orphanage was the first welfare provider for Roman Catholic girls in Preston, taking in up to 60 youngsters at a time in two dormitories.

After its closure, the top floor of the orphanage continued to serve as accommodation for the nuns who worked in St Joseph’s Hospital, known locally as Mount Street Hospital.

The hospital held collections to help pay for health care for poor patients.

During the First and Second World Wars, they tended injured soldiers and, over the years, tens of thousands of babies were born at the hospital’s maternity unit.

Legendary performer George Formby died at the hospital following a heart attack on March 6, 1961.

The hospital closed when the last sisters left nursing in 1982.

DSCN0426_zps52cfb179.jpg

DSCN0326_zpsf12c0427.jpg

DSCN0324_zpsa57e1b80.jpg

DSCN0334_zpsa06490ac.jpg

DSCN0335_zpsaa04599e.jpg

DSCN0337_zps7c04c129.jpg

DSCN0344_zpsea32e514.jpg

DSCN0346_zps1d35822f.jpg

DSCN0349_zps85b0c4e7.jpg

DSCN0350_zpse8b580c1.jpg

DSCN0358_zps6939eb93.jpg

DSCN0378_zps38c1f435.jpg

DSCN0385_zpsc496d364.jpg

DSCN0400_zpsaae0b871.jpg

DSCN0408_zpsc53e597c.jpg

DSCN0413_zpsdef3b436.jpg

DSCN0420_zps5ac2a7bb.jpg

DSCN0424_zps2e0b3120.jpg

DSCN0436_zpse052feb0.jpg

DSCN0437_zps2607bb76.jpg

cheers

Last edited:

Coxieboy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good report, surprising good condition considering its been closed 33 years!

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member
Nice set man, wouldn't worry too much about showing pics of it, been sealed again now :)

Inky

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Timed it right then! Haha was good to meet you man cheers for the tour :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It"s normally the etiquette to mention the Tour Guide in the intro post, even if he does live there ;)

I wouldn"t worry about showing anything :confused apart from the stained glass windows & the Theatre lights which are nice, there"s nothing of worth in the place. It"d be in NP if this way the case.

It"s probably the worst case of Landfill in a building i"ve ever seen :)

Inky

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry Genuine mistake thought Id put it in so I've edited it.

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Yea was on a wooden board thing. And ya right normally it's just in dust etc. Maybe time to scrap that cause in a way I'm not keen it's the other group members who do it and normally on something unimportant like a wood plank etc. Or in the dust. Lol will change that. My apologies

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details