real time web analytics
Report - - Marple Water Tunnels, Stockport - Feb 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Marple Water Tunnels, Stockport - Feb 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
I've not been down here since 2012 and fancied having a look at the progress of the archaeological dig above, there has been quite a lot of above ground progress but the tunnels below seem pretty much the same.

In order to supply water to this wheel Oldknow literally reshaped the landscape and the Cheshire/Derbyshire county boundary formed by the River Goyt. The river was re-routed along a new cutting and a weir, sluice gate and leat were constructed to diverted water into a large millpond.
A separate corn mill was sited at the south end of the main mill, powered by its own wheel of unknown dimensions. It is not clear if this was constructed at the same time as the main building, or if it was a later addition. In 1815 a third wheel was added in a separate new building between the main mill and the river. Named the "Waterloo Wheel", it measured 20 feet in diameter and 18.5 feet wide. This wheel was powered by the exit water from the other two wheels via a system of underground tunnels. When not in use the water could be returned directly to the Goyt through a separate tunnel. The "Waterloo Wheel" supplied additional power to the main mill via an underground shaft, whilst a second shaft provided power to series of riverside workshops. The exit level from the bottom of this wheelpit was below that of the Goyt at its nearest point and in order to overcome that problem a significant feat of engineering was required. An exit tunnel was driven under the bed of the river and then carried the water 600 yards downstream until the level had fallen sufficiently to allow it to be discharged.

16638041965_31f715ac1b_c.jpg

16637024512_cdbfde7afd_c.jpg

16018125503_23d643a585_c.jpg

16636591251_41c8a1771a_c.jpg

16451846819_f6f5a87bcc_c.jpg

16636575891_9987cc0d7a_c.jpg

16015715634_597dec7d3a_c.jpg

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I had completely missed seeing these before, they look mint. Reminds me a bit of the digs at Wet Earth although hopefully this one will keep going!

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
What confuses me is the fact they got the lottery funding for the digs, and I'm yet to see any real evidence of any progress.
They must have used most of the cash on gates to secure a few of the tunnels...but how much is a set of gates ? are they gold plated or something ?

urbex.man

28DL Member
28DL Member
near the "garden house" there are a few more tunnels that are currently being excavated, pretty cool for photograhy