This building has had a varied life. Opened December 1889 as the Irving Theatre. Subsequent owners kept re-modelling and upgrading, in attempts to keep it as a viable theatre, but in 1936 it became a full time cinema. Over this period, it was called the Kings/La Scala/Hippodrome, and finally Embassy.
Cinemascope was installed in 1955, but it closed due to declining patronage, four years later. To date it has been used for bingo downstairs, but a nightclub in the balcony failed to last and the whole upper portion is now disused. Fragments remain, including the sound indicator in the otherwise stripped projection room and the fly tower.