Opened as the Lonsdale Cinema on 21st September 1931. Seating was provided in stalls and balcony. A feature of the foyer decoration was a stained glass window which depicted Carlisle Castle.
The small Sydney Bacon circuit was taken over by Union Cinemas in 1935, and in October 1937 they were taken over by Associated British Cinema (ABC). From 15th January 1962 in common with most other cinemas operated by ABC, the Lonsdale was re-named ABC. It continued as a single screen cinema until it was twinned, re-opening as a 586 cinema in the former circle on 25th May 1972.
The cinema closed its doors on 23rd April 2006.
The price tag on Carlisle’s former Lonsdale Cinema is thought to stand at £1.4m as pressure mounts on the city council to buy it and save it from demolition.
On with the pics
Last showing April 2006.
Thanks for looking
Exploring derelict buildings in Big Baggy Knickers