1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Gloucester Docks/Mills Dec 2011

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by Gh0sT, Jan 11, 2012.

  1. Gh0sT

    Gh0sT 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2011
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    3
    Visited with happyshopper,the invisableman, and sheepsdisease.


    Nicked off HS - Two Brothers George and William Downing started building Malthouse 1 in Merchants road, Gloucester in 1876, due to the sucess of the business they then build a second Malthouse in 1895 right next to it and a further Malthouse 3 and Malthouse 4 in front right next to the dock edge.

    [​IMG]

    In 1972 the whole site was taken over by ABM and the Downing name was lost. The place closed when production was moved to Wallingford in about 1980 and the building taken over by West Midland Farmers to store Grain.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Foster Bros. Oil And Cake Mill - Gloucester Docks

    In 1862 Thomas Nelson Foster and his brother Richard Gibbs Foster moved their oilseed business from Evesham to Bakers Quay in Gloucester, following a fire. Gloucester was an ideal location as they now had direct access to sea-going ships. Originally, the oilseed crushing mill they built, designed by George Hunt and built by William Eassie and Co. consisted of a 6 storey warehouse for storage, and a 2 storey extension behind which contained the crushing equipment. There was also a gabled wooden structure that projected over the quay with an elevator inside to lift seeds.

    [​IMG]

    When BOCM installed a large oil extraction plant at Avonmouth in the early 1950s the mill was deemed too inefficient and it closed in 1955. However, the building was sold to West Midlands farmers and was used for grain mixing and storage, and became known as Provender mill. But by the 1980s the mills time had really come and it closed c1987.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Thanks for Looking :thumb
     
    Jordan Durham likes this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in