1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Harperbury Hospital - Shenley - May 2011

Discussion in 'Asylums and Hospitals' started by Nelly, May 15, 2011.

  1. Nelly

    Nelly Fat Fucker!!!
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2010
    Messages:
    143
    Likes Received:
    15
    Home Page:
    Harperbury Hospital opened as Hangars Certified Institution in 1925 and was known as Middlesex Colony until 1949.
    The original hospital has now closed, although some facilities remain on the site. The following comes from the 1937 Kelly's Directory:

    "The Middlesex Colony, begun in 1929, was opened on 20th May, 1936, by the Rt. Hon. Sir Kingsley Wood, M.P. Minister of Health.
    The Colony is intended for mental defectives who are socially inadaptable in the community, or who are neglected or without visible means of support.
    Male defectives who are capable of being employed are provided with suitable agricultural occupations on the land, or at various industrial occupations in the Colony's workshops.
    Female defectives are suitably employed in the laundry, general kitchen or workrooms.
    Children who are capable of it are given various simple occupations. The patients live in separate "homes" of the villa or pavilion type.
    The Administrative Centre, consisting of the main administrative offices, dental and surgical clinics, dispensary, central kitchen, reception hall, workshops, laundries, &c. has been built on an axial line running north and south,
    the Colony buildings for male and female being placed east and west around and overlooking playing fields.
    An isolated site on the south side is allocated for the children's section.
    The nurses' home is situated immediately to the west of the main administrative offices, adjacent to the main entrance from Harper Lane."

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    The Secure Unit

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    Thanks for looking
     
    #1 Nelly, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in