1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Healey Dell Viaduct - October 2011.

Discussion in 'High Stuff' started by Ojay, Oct 29, 2011.

  1. Ojay

    Ojay Admin
    Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    Messages:
    4,870
    Likes Received:
    1,580

    Healey Dell Viaduct

    [​IMG]


    The Healey Dell 5 mile branch line was part of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company, and took 5 years to build. It was opened to passengers on the 1st of November 1870

    Curving northwards, it hugged the hillside above the valley of the River Spodden

    To get to Broadley Station, the branch had to cross over the river, this was achieved with the viaduct being built in 1867

    Constructed of locally quarried stone it was erected some 31.5m high above the river with 8 arches, each with a 24m span

    About a quarter of a mile further along were Broadley Stone sidings, which serviced the Stone Rubbing Mill

    The site consisted of a stone processing plant, crane, and loading platform from which the flagstones from the quarry were transferred to wagons

    A connection with the main line was made at the southern end of the stone sidings as the northern end had been disconnected in 1899

    There was a narrow gauge track which ran from the sidings that headed straight up to Rooley Moor where the wagons were pulled using ropes

    By 1900 the quarry concern had declined, and the rope-worked quarry line fell into disuse

    However, Broadley Stone Sidings gained a new lease of life in 1910 when a further narrow gauge line was laid to serve Mycock Spring Mill dye works

    The sidings were later used for coal in the 1950's

    Official closure of passenger trains on the Bacup line began on the 14th of December 1949

    Until 1952 only light engines ran between Bacup and Rochdale, leaving a service of 2 coal goods trains per day from Rochdale to Facit Yard

    By August 1967 the branch no longer existed



    Today the views are spectacular, the viaduct is home to the Sparrowhawk and Bats :thumb

    ...(Oh, and a couple of goons on ropes) :rolleyes: :D

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    #1 Ojay, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in